Monday, May 29, 2006

Quiet Passing

Den's Dad died tonight.  We got a call from Bernice around 10:30.  She said he died peacefully in his sleep.  Poor Dad had been through so much that his passing is a blessing from God.  Dennis and I feel sad but at the same time we are relieved that his suffering is over.  We believe that when you take your last breath here on earth, you take your first breath in Heaven.  As I write this, I can imagine him in the presence of Jesus and with all of his loved ones that went before him. It gives me such peace.  If I am sad at all, I am sad for those of us left behind to miss him. 

I don't know if I will have time to write in my journal this next week.  I did want to write down my thoughts tonight before things get so busy and I get distracted.  I am feeling numb.  I can't seem to bring forth any emotion right now.  I am so relieved for him to be out of the misery he was in.  I can't imagine how awful it must have been for him to be unable to do anything for himself.  He couldn't even scratch his own nose.  He couldn't drink from a straw.  He couldn't make a decision about anything.  He had lost his ability to judge time and to recall if someone had been to visit him.  He slept most of the time and any kind of movement from someone taking his blood pressure to me trying to hold his hand would cause him to feel pain.  He is free from all of that now.  His soul has left his body and he is in a much better place where there is only perfect peace.  Thank you, God, for answering our prayers, for your love and mercy.  Amen

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know how you feel. My dad had Alzheimers disease, it's such a cruel way to end life. It's painful for families to watch their loved ones suffering, unable to help, at least now his pain has gone. I hope Bernice will get through OK. Jeannette  xx  

Anonymous said...

Oh I am so sorry ,for your loss ,but as you say it really is a mercy the poor man is no longer suffering,my dear Mum had Alzheimers so I know what you mean ,take care ,we will be thinking of you .....Jan x

Anonymous said...

OH so sorry for your loss yet I do understand the wanting him to pass and the peace and contentment that you know where he is and that it was peaceful. I pray the Father provide you comfort as only he can and give you peace during this time

Anonymous said...

You are right to celebrate the end of his suffering and the peace for his soul, Kathy - and the best way to remember and honor him is to always keep him alive in your thoughts and close in your heart.  You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers.  God bless you - and rest his soul.

Rob

Anonymous said...

I`m very sorry to hear of your loss.

Hugs

Sandra xxxxx

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear your news, take care and God bless xx