Wednesday, May 31, 2006

A Good Day

Today has been a pretty good day so far.  It was Kasey's groom day so we were out the door at 6:30 a.m.  She got a haircut and looks like a very posh Westie girl this afternoon.  I also took her to the Vet on the way home.  She needed her rabies booster and a booster for her rattlesnake vaccine.  We live in an area where we see a few rattlesnakes in the summer.  My husband has killed a several in our yard since we have lived in this house.  Because our dog is a Westie and she cannot help herself when it comes to chasing, charging, investigating, and patrolling anything that enters HER backyard we have had her vaccinated to prevent the wasting problem that effects the tissue surrounding a rattlesnake bite.  The tissue dies and it causes septic shock which kills the animal.  The chance that she will be bit are fairly remote but we want her protected anyway.  It gives us peace of mind to know she is somewhat protected.

I took my parents and my sister to meet my best friend, Dianne for lunch today.  Dianne and I have been friends since we were 16 so my parents and sister have known her since then, too.  It was so much fun to talk about old times and to catch up on current news too.

When I got home, I had a call from the mortuary that is handling Den's Dad's services.  They have set the funeral for next Tuesday at 10:45 a.m.  It will be at Riverside National Cemetery which is a cemetery exclusively for military veterans and their wives.  He was a U.S. Marine in WWII and served in the Pacific for 3 years.  A group of Marines will be there to do a flag folding ceremony at the end of the service and the flag will be presented to Bernice.  I think Dad would be so proud to have received this honor.

We are all coping well with Dad's death.  Yesterday, Dennis and I spent most of the day with Bernice.  We made the final arrangements for his funeral and helped make some of the telephone calls to inform family and friends.  We talked about how we grieved for Dad during his lengthy illness and we feel so much peace knowing that he isn't suffering any longer.  There is still a lot of emotion and some tears but not the deep grief that someone might feel if they lose someone close suddenly.  It truly was a blessing.

My parents are going to extend their stay until next Wednesday so they can attend the funeral.  That means a lot to us.  Dennis is very close to my parents and they love him like a son so it is really good that they were here when this happened.  They have been so supportive and helpful.

We are making sure that we are having some fun during their visit, too.  Our lunch with Dianne today was a mood lifter for sure.  Tomorrow we are going to one of their favorite restaurants for dinner.  Friday we are going to a museum and to explore some sites here in Riverside that they have wanted to see.  This weekend, they will go to my brother's to visit with him and his wife.  That will be a nice break.  I can get my house prepared for Tuesday.  After the service for Dad, everyone is coming back to our house for a luncheon so I need to make sure things are tidy.

Thanks to all my j-Land friends who have left such sweet messages!  I so appreciate your love and concern.  You all have become very special in my heart in a very short time!

More soon.

 

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

well your awesome saying you had  a good day after all the stress. Love to see your wesite girl hairs cut

Anonymous said...

Im sure it was a comfort having your Mum and Dad with you at this time ,it doesnt occur to so many of us that you would need to have your dog vacinated against snake bite and Rabies Wow  And how proud Dens Dad would have been had he known of this honour ..................Jan xx

Anonymous said...

Gosh rattlesnakes, the only thing we have to worry about is the odd adder

Anonymous said...

I am so glad your parents will be staying over for the funeral and it is wonderful to know that your hubby and they are so close.  I have never thought of rattlesnakes either, we do not have them over here of course.  Only adders and they are few and far between so none of our dogs need to be vaccinated against snake bite.  I hope the funeral goes well and it is so nice there will be a flag folding ceremony.  Hugs

http://journals.aol.co.uk/jeanno43/JeannettesJottings/

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad your parents are here to go to the funeral too, nice of them to stay on and I'm sure the'll be a great support to you and Den. I know how it feels to lose some one from Alzheimers, when my dad had it I felt it was then when I lost him and grieved. When he died I felt relief, I think you're feeling the same. I'm sure he would have been proud to know of the funeral ceremony, strange how he died on Memorial Day too. Jeannette xx  

Anonymous said...

Hi Kathy,
I'm finally getting caught up with journals. I'm so very sorry for the passing of Den's Dad....please convey that to him as well. It is so hard when we lose someone we love, and even though we know they are in a better place and not suffering anymore.....it is hard to let go. My friend just lost her Mom and going through that with her has been hard, our parents are so much of who we are....it's hard to imagine life without them in it. You all will remain in my prayers and I'll remember Bernice as well.
How wonderful for you that yours were with you when all of this happened.....they must have been so much srength and comfort. I'm glad you all have had a nice visit, it sounds like you have done a lot of fun things and spent much quality time together making memories. How special it was that they got to see the Great Grand babies.....it will be a treasured visit for all, I'm sure.
Take care over the weekend....I'll be sending love, prayers and good thoughts to you & Den and ask God to watch over all of you and bring you peace.

Pooh Hugs,
Linda~