Sunday, November 5, 2006

Sunday - November 5

Dennis spent the morning upstairs removing base boards, pulling up carpet, and getting the master bathroom ready for the tile installer to come tomorrow.  Woooo, I can't wait!  We are having 16" Travertine tile set.  It's going to be so nice to have that carpet out of there.  I have regretted having carpet since we moved in this house.  The toilet compartment has tile but the largest area with the vanity, tub and shower is carpeted. 

We have to take out clothes for 2 days and our shampoo, towels, etc. because we won't be able to walk on the tile until it is completely set and the grout is done.  The whole job should be done by Wednesday.  Thank goodness we have two other showers.

After the tile is done, we will buy new carpeting.  Hopefully we will have that done before Christmas.  We are going to replace the carpet in our walk-in closet, our bedroom, the guest room and Cari's room.  Then all the carpet in the house will have been replaced within the past 2 years and we'll be set for a while.

I'll be posting pictures when the job is done.  I hope to make Martha Stewart envious.   LOL

We had a great birthday celebration for Bryan.  Our plans changed a little so I got out of buying cake and ice cream.  They came around 3:00 in the afternoon and visited before dinner.  We gave him his gifts and went to dinner at 5:00.  We went to a restaurant called BJ's (his initials) and had an hour wait for a table.  We were able to wait outside so the kids could run and play.  Once seated, we had a great waiter.  I think it helped that he and Sam knew each other from high school.  He gave us great service and he got a great tip in return.  The only bad thing was the place plays the music so loud that you must yell to be heard.  The noise level in the place was unbearable.  There was a small blessing to that, though, no one could hear Andrew's fussing about having to sit still above all the noise.  LOL

It was a clear, hot day here.  It got up into the low 90's.  From the top of the hill, you could see forever!  Awesome.  I got my grocery shopping done and a few loads of laundry.  I sat down and made my Christmas Card list and started to draft my annual Christmas newsletter.  I made a month-to-month outline of all that happened this year and I'm going to have to do some serious editing to fit it into a one page letter.  I don't believe in sending long, detailed letters that cause yawns and people to dread opening them -- just the highlights and a few pictures.  I refuse to be one of those who brags about every little thing and who goes on and on about how wonderful the family is and how the world is such a better place because they are in it.  LOL 

I looked at Christmas cards last night at one of the stores.  They averaged $14.99 for a box of 16 cards.  With my list, that would  be around $120 for cards and postage.  I'm going to have to find less expensive cards and cut that total way down.  I'm going to go out and look again tomorrow.  I think WalMart had some nice cards last year for a lot less than $15 a box.  I don't care if folks think "I Don't Care Enough To Send The Very Best".  

Our kids have abandoned us for Thanksgiving.  As soon as they found out my parents weren't coming, they all made other plans.  In a way, that gets me off the hook.  No big dinner to cook, no mess to clean up, and no left overs to worry about.  But on the other hand, it hurt my feelings that they didn't even ask if our plans changed because mom and dad weren't coming.  They just dumped us like hot potatoes.  I'm going to deal with them about this and let them know how I feel but the deal for dinner is no longer an option.  Dennis and I are going to Disneyland.  Screw 'em.   (I know that was blunt but sometimes I just have to be blunt.  No apologies there.) We are excited about it and plan on having a great time.

I feel better now. 

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hope the tileis installed with no problems.  I bet it will look really nice!
I think a day at Disneyland for Thanksgiving is a great way to spend the day.  In fact, my son is going to DisneyWorld with his friends family on Thanksgiving...I sure wish I could be stuffed into a carry-on!  Jae

Anonymous said...

I know the house will tiurn out beautiful! :)
Bryan had a great BD I'll bet. Fun, fun, fun!
Disneyland, WOO HOO!
Have a nice week.
Sugar

Anonymous said...

i have about 10 boxes of decent Christmas cards that i got the day after Christmas at WM for about $2 a box. I send to so many in J land too! Let me know if you want to exchange addresses.
I cant wait to see the pics of the tile. We need new carpet all thru our home. I hate the carpet in the living and dining rooms.
Glad you had a good birthday party.
HUGS, lisa

Anonymous said...

I buy my cards at Wal Mart after Christmas.  Last year I got some beautiful cards there from 75 cents to $1.50 a box.  They actually have very nice cards...I think right now I have enough boxes of Christms cards to last several years, but every January I end up getting 2 or 3 more boxes...just can't resist a good sale.  Same with Christmas wrapping paper. I've seen one of the Christmas stamps for this year, it's a snowflake, very pretty. I usually buy 100 of them and then I always have plenty for cards and bills during the month of December.  Linda in Washington  

Anonymous said...

Your tiles sound lovely ,and yes pictures please ,will be looking forward to seeing it completed.. Christmas cards , its getting so the postage costs more than the card .,.,.,enjoy Disney land....love Jan xx

Anonymous said...

The tiling sounds like it's coming on now! Glad you made plans to go to Disneyland. It's not fair that the kids just opted out like that, I'd speak to them about it too! Have a good week. Jeannette xx  

Anonymous said...

The bathroom is the next job on the list for us now the kitchen is finished. We had carpet years ago but took it up.  We have to replace the bath, toilet and basin and put some new floor cover down.  Hoped to have it done for Christmas but I feel that is being unrealistic now as it is so close.  I have my Christmas cards on order and will start writing them as soon as they arrive.

http://journals.aol.co.uk/jeanno43/JeannettesJottings/

Anonymous said...

We are a lot alike!  I do the annual newsletter, too, and make a monthly list of things that happened.  I follow the same rules as you, too... no boasting, just a quick run down of the year.  I make mine look like the first page of a newspaper.  My trick is to buy my cards right after Christmas for the next year.  Target will go down to 75% off with a good selection still available.  Have fun at Disneyland, I think I'd rather be there than here cooking all day!
~~Kath~~
http://journals.aol.com/dklars/SecretGarden

Anonymous said...

Yay for Disneyland...Never been there but would love to go sometime! :)

I think you made a great choice!  

Your 'new' bathroom and bedroom sound great!  I'm jealous!  I can't wait until we can redo ours!

Have a great day!

Janis

Anonymous said...

Can't wait to see how nice your house looks with all the redecorating your doing!  

I think the weather is TOO hot, and it needs to cool down!  I am literally sick of all the heat.  It was an extremely hot summer, and it just is not stopping!  It was 90 here yesterday too.  Does Mother nature not know that it's NOVEMBER for cryin out loud! lol

Thanksgiving?  Christmas?  I hate all the holidays.. especially this year.  I wish  I could just go to sleep and not wake up till they are over..

Hugs
Jackie

Anonymous said...

RIGHT ON!!  I am with you I've been dumped more than once over the holidays.  This year I think if it's nice we are going to the campground and as for Christmas?  I am going to Florida!  to see my dad!  The kids will just have to deal!  rose~