Friday, November 3, 2006

Bryan's Birthday

Today is my son's 33rd birthday.  I called and left a message on his cell phone this morning.  I sang the "Happy Birthday" song all the way through and then I told him I loved him and asked him to call me back when he had a chance so I could talk to him.  He phoned back about a half hour later.

  "Get my message?"  I asked.

   He laughed,  "I sure did."

   "Were you delighted with my singing?"

   He laughed again, "I don't know if I'd go that far but it sure made me happy to hear from you."

   We had a nice visit.  He and his wife and the youngest of their kids, Andrew, who will be 2 on the 20th, had dropped the older 2 off at school and then they went out to breakfast.  What a nice start to his day!

  We are meeting for dinner tomorrow night and then everyone is coming back here for a few hours.  I'll get an angel food cake, with no frosting, and some ice cream.  LOL   I remember when he was a kid and I would serve plain angel food cake at his party.  Everyone would look at me like I was the laziest - worst mom on the earth.  "What can I say?"  I would explain.  "It's his very favorite!"

  He never liked frosting, whipped cream, soft serve ice cream, or pie. He preferred sour candy like Skittles or Starburst to chocolate and one of his favorite snacks was to grab the lettuce crisper out of the refrigerator and sit in front of the TV with it and a salt shaker.  He'd pull a leaf off, salt it and then eat it.  By the time he was done, the whole head of lettuce would be gone.  Who's kid was this????  LOL

  He was the most challenging of our two kids to raise and I must say the most interesting.  I never knew what he was going to do next.  It's too bad he wasn't the second child.  I would have been better equipped to deal with his special needs and weall might have done better.  The good news is, he turned out to be a wonderful guy.  He's married to a terrific woman, has three super-duper kids with another one on the way.  He's a hard worker, has goals and drive, and he loves God.  What more can you ask?  I'd say nothing.

  If I sound like an overly proud mom, it's just because I am. 

  Happy Birthday, Bryan!!!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hope Bryan has a HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!
{{ }}
Sugar

Anonymous said...

A very happy 33rd Birthday to Bryan,I thought you was going to tell us you got a wrong number lol ,Do you know he sounds like a really nice fella ,but then look who his Mum is ! ...love Jan xx

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Bryan, Hope that he has enjoyed his special day and that you all enjoy your  evening tomorrow
take care Lynne xx

Anonymous said...

You have every right to be proud, Kathy!  Heck I talk about my kids and grandkids so much in my journal, that I forget that I have a life too.  Well, not really..  at least not lately! lol

I have a Brian too.. as you well know.  He just turned 32.  I did the same thing on his birthday! lol

I hope you have a nice time with him tomorrow night!  

And be proud!  You have every reason to cluck your mother hen feathers, all you want! :)

Hugs
Jackie

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday to your wonderful son.  He sounds really special Kathy.  Have a great weekend. :o)

Sandra xxxx

Anonymous said...

Happy birthday Bryan, give the boy a lettuce! Lol! I don't like cream, chocolate or pie either, d'you think we're related?! Jeannette xx  http://beta.journals.aol.co.uk/jlocorriere05/Welcometomytravels/

Anonymous said...

oh you sound like a proud mommy and i love reading that! Gives me hope that my 14 yr old son who is putting me thru the wringer right now will turn it around and make me proud too. My 17 yr old daughter hates chocolate and loves plain things like your sons cake.
LOVE, lisa

Anonymous said...

His eating habits are quite interesting!  Very cool, actually!  You have every reason to be so proud...you done good there, Mom!  Happy Birthday to Bryan!  Jae

Anonymous said...

yeah!  bryan I love good kid stories!  ~rose