Monday, October 9, 2006

Happy Birthday, Carol!

Today is my sister's birthday.  I called her early this morning but she wasn't home.  I sang the "Happy Birthday" song into her answer machine (that'll teach her for going somewhere on her BD) and then called her later in the day so we could talk.

She loved the earrings.  I thought she would.  We had a nice visit and I welcomed her to this side of the 50's.  She can get Sr. discounts in a few places now.  55 is just the beginning of those Golden Specials.  Gottschalk's (my favorite store) starts it's Sr. Specials at 55 - she was very happy to learn that today.

I went shopping later for my Mother's birthday which is a week from today.  I ended up getting her a pair of the Mystic Fire Topaz earrings, too.  I got her the round studs which I know she will enjoy.  I also made a copy of one of the pictures Den and I had taken on the cruise, framed it and put it in the package, too.  Mom's always love getting pictures of their kids.

I bought Bob Woodward's new book today.  State of Denial   is the name of it.  I read a review on line from the NY Times yesterday.  The review really perked my interest so when I saw it at Costco today I had to buy it.  The book is about the Bush administration and is the third in a series of books Woodward has written about this presidency.  The first two were more supportive.  This one takes a very critical look at several key players, especially Cheney and Rumsfeld. 

( http://journals.aol.com/thefeedblog/AOLNewsTheFeed/#Entry1878 ) Check out this site and watch the little video with Bob Woodward about a phone call he got from Cheney about this book. 

Anyone  who has read my journal for any length of time knows that I am not a fan of this administration.  I have never been.  I was sick when he was elected the first time and I can't wait until he leaves office.  I'm just worried silly about how bad the national debt will be when he finally rides off in the sunset and leaves us choking in his dust.  My other concerns are deeper and darker and I will keep those to myself.  I didn't post this to get into a political debate.  If anyone out there likes him, that's fine, I am all for freedom of choice.  Just do NOT post a comment in my journal defending him.  I'll just delete it.  You can post something in your own journal and I'll read it there.  That's your forum and your right.

Phew.....  enough about that.  Now - let's laugh about something.  Oh, my gosh, a friend sent me thee funniest email about a gal waxing for the first time.  It is pretty graphic so I am not going to post it, but if anyone wants a good laugh send me an email and I'll forward it to you.  I had tears running down my face.  It reminded me of the first time I used the product NADS.  Have any of you used that?  Some Australian woman invented it using only natural ingredients.  I swear it is the stickiest goop on the face of the earth.  My daughter and I ordered it and I decided, stupidly, to use it under my arms first. 

I got out the application stick, scooped up some of the goop and spread it under my arm.  Then I reached down to get the strip of cloth that you press on over the goop and then RIP off to remove the hair.  Well, I lowered my arm to do it and glued my arm to my body.  I could not lift my arm again to save my life!  If I tried it was like trying to pull the skin off my under arm and my side.  Luckily, I remembered the ad and knew that it would come off with warm water and soap so I got in the shower and rinsed it off with lots of warm water all the time thanking the good Lord that it wasn't wax.  When I got out of the shower, I put the lid on the NADs jar, put it back in the box and put it in a closet somewhere.  My Venus razor never looked so good.  Cari heard me yelling in pain and she never wanted to try it after my experience.   It took me another 5 years to get up the never to get my eyebrows waxed and that tiny little bit of waxing hurts like the devil -- but I still get it done about every 6 weeks now because I really like how my brows look.

I guess that ought to do it for one night.  Until later..........  ô..ô

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I laughed at your story of your hair removing experience! I tried the wax on my legs once, never again.... I just don't have the masochistic tendencies to go through with it! I'd love the email you wrote about please! I've never been much into politics but I've heard so much about Bush, enough to put me off for life! I've always said that Tony Blair looks exactly like I imagine the devil would look!  Lol! Jeannette xx  

Anonymous said...

Sorry, I forgot in my ranting! Happy happy birthday Carol, now go shopping for them bargains! Happy birthday for your mum next week too! Jeannette xx  http://journals.aol.co.uk/jlocorriere05/Welcometomytravels

Anonymous said...

Interesting entry ,nice to hear your views on you know what lol ,ouch to the goo ,yes stick with your razor the other stuff sounds lethal ,.,.,Jan xx

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday to your sister!  I never discuss politics especially American ones lol.  I would love that waxing email.  Did I send you the I Will Survive one?  Let me know and if not I will send it.
http://journals.aol.co.uk/jeanno43/JeannettesJottings/

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday to Carol! :)  I have 2 more years before I can start reaping the benefits of <gulp> 55! lol

I have never tried NAD's but I sure do remember those commercials!  Why do they always make things look so easy and painless when they are advertising it, but it's a whole different story when you actually start using the product!

Have a wonderful day, Kathy! :)

Hugs
Jackie

Anonymous said...

I have seen a waxing e-mail that circulates every once in a while, and it IS hysterical!  Sorry you had your own sticky experience!  NADS; is that the one that they were actually eating to show how "natural" it was on the infomercial?  I had my 'fun' with the Nair products...no thank you, ma'am.  I will shave every day!  My sister just told me she is going to buy a self waxing kit for her upper lip.  I asked her to use it in front of me so I can get the full experience without the pain!  Who knows?  Maybe it will work just great...Jae

Anonymous said...

Hi Kathy,  A very Happy Birthday to your sister.  I hope you enjoy the book, it sounds a very interesting read.  I won`t defend Bush either, anymore than I will defend our Prime Minister Tony Blair.  Ouch to the waxing, give me a razor any day!

Sandra xxxx