Monday, October 30, 2006

3 Months in 3 Days

I was working on my new computer this morning and the McAfee Security Pop-Up flashed warning me that my 90 free trial had expired and my new 4 day old computer was no longer protected from virus infections, etc. 

That ticked me off because it added to the frustration I felt when I booted this baby up for the first time and found out that most of the pre-installed software needed to be updated.

How can a brand new computer be shipped from the factory with out of date software and a 90 day FREE security package that is only good for 4 lousy days?

This computer had been sitting in their warehouse for sometime.  It was not, as advertised, built for me.  I'm just hoping it is not one that has been refurbished and re shipped.  I tried calling Dell Customer Service and if I had the patience to wade through "Press 1 for English",  "Press 3 for Customer Service",  "Press 8 for a new system", "Press 21 if you have your customer order number", Press 9 if you've gone to the bathroom today because if you haven't you may want to go now and call us back because you're going to be pushing buttons for another three hours before a live person comes on to hear your complaint."  LOL

I just gave up.  What are they going to do anyway?  NOTHING.  It wouldn't have even made me feel better to complain. 

I went to Staples and bought the new, updated McAfee security system because they give a $30.00 mail in rebate which you don't get if you buy on line (A HINT for anyone who is nearing the end of your subscription.  Don't renew online.  Go out and buy it and get the rebate!)  Also, if you have more than one computer in your family, like I do, you can buy one program that can be installed on up to 3 computers for just $21.00 more.  That saves you big bucks.   You have to read the boxes and look for the one with the multiple installation package.  I bought that version so I installed it on this one and Cari can install it on her laptop and I can install it on the old one when I get it set up for Bryan.  Tah-dah! 

I don't like the time change.  When it gets dark so early,  I have the uneasy feeling that I am late.  Around 3:00 in the afternoon, I start to feel anxious.  It's probably my internal clocks warning system going off thinking that it's 4:00 and I haven't done everything I usually do by that time of day.  Ahh, we are such creatures of habit. 

We are doing some little projects around here to perk up the old place.  It's giving my spirits a lift to see some new things and to have a few changes.  Saturday, Dennis and I went to The Great Indoors.  It's a wonderful place that carries everything you can imagine for the home.  Beds and bedding, flooring, appliances, decorator items, lighting fixtures, dinner ware, bathroom furnishings and decorations and a beautiful array of holiday items for Thanksgiving and Christmas.

We ordered a new light fixture for over the dining room table; bought a new light fixture for the downstairs bathroom; bought a framed mirror for over the buffet in the dining room; and 2 pictures for the bathroom.  We are going to replace the lighting fixture in the kitchen, too, but we didn't find one that we liked at this store. We have a painting on order for the entry and we are looking for something to replace a large weaving that is mounted on a wall as you go up the stairs.  We want to find something dramatic for that space.  We're not sure what that will be but agree we will know it when we see it.  LOL  When the dining room light arrives, we will hire an electrician to come in and install all the lighting, put in some dimmer switches, and repair a few outlets that are not working correctly.  I'll post pictures when things are in place.

I'm even more frustrated tonight.  The McAfee Internet Security Suite that I downloaded onto my computer makes my system run slower than sap.  It prevents some web pages (like my journal) from loading content.  I keeps certain web sites from opening all together.  I un installed it until I can find someone who knows something about how to set the Properties up so I get protected but not restricted.  It's maddening!  Are there any computer geniuses out there that can help?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm probably playing Russian Roulette, but I've had my computer for 3 years and never renewed my MCCaffee when it ran out.  Just never got around to it, but, so far I've been lucky.  I'm good about not downloading ANYTHING from the internet that I'm not 100% sure of, and that especially goes for email.  I suppose my luck will run out eventually.

Hugs
Jackie

Anonymous said...

Kathy you shopping trip sounded exciting ,will look forward to all your pictures when its done my sister bought a virus protection and like you it slowed every thing down ,isnt it frustrating ,.,.,love Jan xx

Anonymous said...

Sorry you're having computer troubles with the new one. I'm like Jackie and never renewed my McAffee when it ran out. I have AOL spyware and antivirus thingy and I've not had problems in over a year. Norton always blocks me so I keep that disabled too but I think you can set it somewhere to allow you access to AOL and your journal. I don't like it when it gets dark so early either! I'm glad you got your dining room light fitting. Jeannette xx  http://journals.aol.co.uk/jlocorriere05/Welcometomytravels/

Anonymous said...

Sorry you are having problems. We just got a new computer not an expensive one so that we are never without one, brand new but everything was out of date.  Took ages to get all the windows updates and yes all the programmes loaded were out of date.  I hate the early dark evenings.

http://journals.aol.co.uk/jeanno43/JeannettesJottings/

Anonymous said...

Computer genius I am not.  In fact, you can do way more than me, jsut by having the ability to purchase appropriate software!!!  Hope it gets all straightened out...You cracked me up with "Press #9"!  Jae

Anonymous said...

i wish i had answers for you! I dont. I can barely keep mine running. I always rene online....$50 a year. I hope you get it all figured out. I know the frustration.
HUGS, lisa

Anonymous said...

grrrrrrrrrrrrr you have luck like I do!  Seems the harder you try with something the more it messes up!  sounds like you are getting a lot done in your home.  The time change messes me up too, especially in the morning with the normally sleepy 9th graders now awake and causing mischief on my bus!  Can we say lets tie the seat belts together?    Good luck with the 'puter!  rose~