Thursday, October 26, 2006

Another Request for Prayer

If any of you read Jackie's journal, HOPE FLOATS, you know she is asking for prayer because there is a huge fire burning close to her home.  I want to add that prayer request to my journal, too, just in case some of you might not read her journal.  The news reports say the fire line is 15 miles long and has destroyed 40 structures.  It has killed four firefighters and left one fighting for his life.

I live about 40 - 50 miles west of the fire and the smoke is laying heavily over Lake Mathews which is about 1-1/2 miles south of here.  If the wind changes just a little we will have that cloud raining ash and smoke down on us.

It seems that every time the Santa Ana winds blow it brings crazy firebugs out of hiding.  We have at least one and usually more arson fires set in the hills where the brush is thick and very dry.  The force of the winds and the fact that they are warm winds pushes the fire out of control in just minutes. 

We live in a fire hazard area.  We have hills all around us and this time of year the thought of fire haunts me all the time. 

If you don't live in an area like this, you can't imagine how vulnerable you feel.  There is nothing anyone can do to prevent these nut cases from setting these fires.  This one started around 1:00 in the morning so it is very doubtful there were any witnesses.  We can only hope the person responsible has a big mouth and tells someone and that person turns them in.

I'm praying for Jackie and the rest of the people in that area and for all the firefighters and other people working so hard to put the fire out.

This morning I drove from Riverside to Murrieta to my son and daughter-in-law's home.  As I got into Lake Elsinore which is about 15 miles north of their home, the smoke from the fire was so thick that I thought the fire must be in the hills of Murrieta.  When I turned on the radio I was shocked to hear that it was so far away.

Shannon and I were going to take the kids to lunch and then to visit a pumpkin patch but the smoke was so bad we felt it wasn't good for them to be outside breathing it.  My son and his helper quit work early because the smoke was so bad they couldn't breath and keep the ash out of their eyes.  Keep in mind, this is at least 50 miles from where Jackie lives.  I can't imagine how horrible it is there.

Our prayers are with you!

 

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am praying for both Jackie and you.

Krissy
http://journals.aol.com/fisherkristina/SometimesIThink

Anonymous said...

Thanks Kathy... I am hoping that they get the fires under control, now that the winds have died down.  They are supposed to stay down till about 3:00 am, and then start up blowing again.  Hopefully during this calm period they can contain most of it, so it doesn't spread!  I pray they do, and that no more firefighters or people in general are killed or injured.

Hugs
Jackie

Anonymous said...

i will keep you all in my thoughts!
hugs,lj

Anonymous said...

I read Jackies entry last night ,and was very frightened for her  I do hope they are able to contain it soon, and it not do any more harm to lives and homes ,that is unbelievable you getting smoke 50 miles away ,how awful ,.,prayers and thoughts for dear Jackie ,and bless you for this entry ,.,.,Jan xx

Anonymous said...

Oh God, I hope Jackie and all the others will be o.k.  We do not have the fires over here that you do.  I must be awful to experience something like that.

http://journals.aol.co.uk/jeanno43/JeannettesJottings/

Anonymous said...

I hope all of you are safe from the fires...that is horrible...Jae

Anonymous said...

Yes..I'll remember you both.  I've been down there during fire season and it's not pleasant.   Let's pray for the winds to die down and the rain to pour out of the heavens.   Linda in Washington  

Anonymous said...

Thinking of you all and praying for your safety ~ Ally
http://journals.aol.co.uk/ally123130585918/Lifewithally

Anonymous said...

I was on the phone half an hour ago to Jan, she was telling me how bad it looks on TV. I do so hope they can stop the fires burning near peoples houses, it must be terifying for those who live in the area. Why do people have to do such a stupid thing as start a fire? I can't imagine what they get from it. Jeannette xx