Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Wednesday Morning Rush

The picture features my dog, Kasey...  Her registered name is Lady Kasey McDoggie 
 
Wednesday mornings are my early to rise mornings.  I get up at 5:30 so I can be out the door at 6:30 because my spoiled rotten West Highland White Terrier has a grooming appointment every Wednesday morning at 7:00.  Three weeks a month she just gets a bath and a good brushing and once a month she gets a hair cut so she looks gorgeous!  I used to give her a bath myself but this is much easier for both of us and the groomer, Charlie, uses very good products on her so she doesn't get dry skin. 
 
The reason we have a 7:00 appointment is that I stay with her until Charlie has finished grooming her.  It's called an Express Cut or Bath.  When he has an Express customer he schedules them for the first appointment of the day so we get right in and right out.
When my pup was about 4 years old (she's 7 now), I took her to one of those groom places where you check the dog in and go back in four hours to pick them up.  Well, when I went back for her, the groomer was frantically trying to get the tip of her tail to stop bleeding.  She told me she had just picked at something on the end of her tail and it just started to bleed but I found out she had actually cut the end of Kasey's tail clear to the cartilage.  She finally had to treat it with silver nitrate so the hair and the end of Kasey's tail looked like it had exploded.  The hair was black until it finally all grew out many weeks later.  I took her to the Vet to have it checked. He put her on antibiotics as a precaution and told me a dog's tail is a very bad place for a cut because the tail bleeds easily and it's hard to get it to stop.  Well, duh!  I think we figured that out!
 
Since that time, I will not leave her with a groomer.  Charlie has groomed her since that horrible experience and I trust him but I am just not going to leave her again.  After knowing what she went through with the other groomer, Charlie has been very supportive and understanding.  He doesn't take my neurotic behavior personally.  LOL
 
I love this dog and want the very best for her.  She's our family's first dog and she has really trained us well.  LOL

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is certainly an early start but well worth it as you are happy with the groomer, nasty experience with the first one.  We bath and groom our own but collies are pretty easy to manage.

http://journals.aol.co.uk/jeanno43/JeannettesJottings/

Anonymous said...

Kasey is lovely ,my son and his Famliy have A West highland too she is called Sophie and is lovely ,before her they had Angus same breed ,When my Grandson was a baby he called her anus ,we have a Shar Pei  famous for their wrinkled appearance ,well pets are meant to look like their owners arent they ?lol ...........Jan xx

Anonymous said...

Kasey's beautiful, never seen a Westie with such lovely silky hair!! Can her groomer do me to?!! Jeannette.  

Anonymous said...

Just poppin in to say hello! Hope your hump day is going well! :)
Kasey is such a sweetie! Sorry, she had such a bad experience. A few groomers are ok, but there are those that are careless, inexperienced, or downright cruel!
Hugs, SUGAR

Anonymous said...

I know about groomer horrors too, as we have a Cocker Spaniel and have had that breed all 26 years we've been married (this is our 3rd). Luckily, we have one now that I would trust with my life and Molly loves her to pieces. Charlie is so adorable, I love Westies....they have the sweetest expressions....he looks like a little love bug :)

Pooh Hugs,
Linda~