Friday, April 21, 2006

Transfer from Attitude is Everything #3

12:47:07 PM EDT
Feeling Happy
Hearing the washing machine chugging away..........
Edit Entry Delete Entry
Let me introduce you to...................

The first entry in a public journal should probably introduce everyone to the writer.  So here goes:  My name is Kathy. I live in Riverside, CA with my husband of 35 years, Dennis, an architect who works out of our home.  We have 2 kids - 10 1/2 years apart.  Bryan is 32 - married to Shannon for 9 years.  They have 3 adorable, intelligent, amazing children:  Megan (6), Nathan (4), and Andrew (17 months).  They also have an English Bulldog, Chopper who likes to pee all over me every time I greet him.  I'm told I'm the only one he does that to -- aren't I special????  Our daughter, Carianne (she prefers Cari) is 21.  Right now, she is studying in Florence, Italy.  She has been there since March 3rd and will be back on May 7.  She has been dating Sam since she graduated from high school.  He's on the study trip, too.  While in Venice, in the main plaza, in front of a famous fountain, down on one knee, Sam proposed to our beautiful Cari and she said a joyful, tearful, "YES!"   Wow!  Both Cari and Sam are juniors in college.  They plan to finish their educations before getting married (a big sigh of relief from my husband and me).  Cari is a communications major (emphasis on entertainment studies) at Cal State University Fullerton and Sam is training to be a sports trainer at the same University.  I have time to save some $$$$ for a wedding (phew!!)

                         

                      Sam Proposing                    Cari in Florence

           Ok, enough about them (LOL)....    I'm really young at heart.  I don't think or act my age so I really hesitate to tell you how old I am.  You can probably estimate because I told you how long I've been married and how old my kids are.  Having Cari 10 1/2 years after Bryan really kept me on my toes and has kept me young-thinking.  Ok, Ok,  I'm 57. There you have it.  I said it.  But I want you to put that aside and think of me as an ageless wonder.  OK?  OK! 

Since Nov. 1, 2005 I have lost over 60 pounds.  I'm going from fat to thin.  I joined Curves for Women so I'm going from lazy and flabby to fit and sort of firm.  My parents are aging and have needed me to go to Laramie, Wyoming where they live to help them out 3 times in the past year; once to move and twice because of surgery/illness.  I go willingly, happily, lovingly.  I'm blessed to be able to do it with my husband's support and the peace of knowing that things here will be handled as if I never left.  My father-in-law is dying.  Could be any day, could be months from now.  We don't know.  It's complications of old age (he's 84 years old), dementia, and anemia among other things.  His body is just shutting down.  This journey withhim has opened all kinds of doors and has, believe it or not, been a real blessing to our family.  It's painful, yes, but there have been some deep and wonderful relationship healings that have come out of this process and we are thanking God for those.

I'm going to see Dad today.  He doesn't talk anymore.  He usually knows me when I go in his room at the nursing facility.  I pat his chest and then sit and pray for him while he slips back into sleep.  I stay and pray for about a half hour and then drive the 40 minutes back home.  I try to do this at least twice a week.  It's more for me than for him.  He doesn't remember that I've been there when Bernice (his wife, I'll explain these relationships as we go along) comes later.  It gives me a lot of peace to see him, to pray for him and to make visual contact.  It's all I can do right now.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow! You sound so much like me, I'm an ageless wonder too, isn't that a coincidence?!! I've been to St Marks Square in Venice where that photo was shot, lovely place! Hope you enjoy it in J-Land, look forward to reading more about you. Jeannette. http://journals.aol.co.uk/jlocorriere05/Welcometomytravels
http://journals.aol.co.uk/jlocorriere05/Holidayphotos/