Tuesday, April 18, 2006

My Play Date with Meg and Nate

 

Megan (6) and Nathan (4)

What a fun day!  I took off early this morning (9:00 a.m.) for the 45 minute drive from my house to where my son's family lives. As I wrote in Saturday, April 15th's entry, we were going to see Ice Age 2 this morning.

I got to the house and knocked on the front door.  Megan and Nathan have been taught to ask who is there before opening the door and I always respond, "It's me, the big bad wolf.  If you don't let me in, I'll huff and puff and blow your house down!"

I hear the dead bolt click open and lots of giggles as I open the door to greet Meg and Nate who are all smiles, hugs, and loves.  After our usual rowdy welcome, they excitedly tell me how they have been waiting for me for 'hours!' and are glad that I'm 'finally' there.

"When are we leaving?"  Megan asks.

"In about 45 minutes."  I explain.  "I want to spend some time with your Mom and Andrew before we go."

They both pretend to pout and follow me into the kitchen where Andrew is sitting in his high chair enjoying some Ritz crackers while Shannon, their Mom, finishes cleaning off the counter.

Andrew actually gave me a big smile.  He has, for the past few months, cried when I come in because he assumes I'm there to babysit.  I'm relieved he's glad to see me and that he doesn't seem to feel threatened by my presence this morning.

While I catch up on family news with Shannon, I pop a bag of microwave popcorn to take to the movie.  I just cannot bring myself to pay $5 for a tub of popcorn.  I also brought apple juice (in the little boxes) for the kids instead of soda and Shannon portioned out a bag of Gummy Bears for them to take. That probably saved me $100 (lol). 

At 10:15 we head out the door.  It only takes 15 minutes to get to the theater and there are only fifteen other cars in the parking lot so there is no line.  I pay the $17.50 for 3 tickets and we go into one of those nice stadium theaters and find our seats,  half way up and in the middle of the row.   When the movie starts, Megan looks around and takes a head count; there are only 9 people in there to see the movie. 

Ice Age 2 starts out with a bang and doesn't lose the fast pace throughout the 90 minutes.  The kids LOVED it and both said they wanted it for their movie collection when it comes out on DVD.  We missed about 15 minutes when there was about 35 minutes left.  Nathan had to go to the bathroom and could not wait.  Ah, kids!  Never fails. 

After the movie, we dropped Nate off  and Meg and I went to Carl's Jr. for lunch.  The restaurant had just opened the day before so it was really nice, clean and the employees were very nice and excited to help us.  They had someone in the Carl's Star costume waving as we came in and when we left, we had our picture taken with it.  It will be emailed and I'll insert it when it comes.

From there we went to Target.  I bought Megan the cutest outfit!  I love buying her clothes.  She's such a 'chick'.  She loves to look pretty and loves clothes, shoes, accessories, and having her nails polished.  She picked out a 4-tiered chocolate brown peasant skirt and a white t-shirt that has a pink/brown sparkle heart in the center.  So cute!  We found a pair of brown sandals at PayLess that go perfectly so she has the total look.  I told her I've been watching "What Not To Wear" on TLC so I know how to put an outfit together.  She said she is very good at matching, too.  We make a great team.

She picked out a Ninja Turtle toy for Nathan and a John Deer tractor toy for Andrew so we would have something fun for the boys when we went home.  Both toys were HUGE hits!

Before I left I had to sit on the couch with Meg on one side and Nathan on the other so I could scratch their backs for 30 minutes.  Gosh they love that.  Everytime I go over, they both back up  to me with their shirts pulled up and ask, "Gramma, can you tickle my back?"

Now what kind of grandmother would I be if I turned down a request like that?  I cherish those moments because I know that they can feel how much I love them when I scratch their little backs.
 

No comments: