Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Public Service Announcement

I got an email from my cousin this morning about a scam to get personal information over the telephone.  Someone calls and says they are an agent of the court and a warrent has been issued for your arrest because you didn't show up for jury duty.  When you swear you didn't get a notice (because you never did!), they ask for your social security number and birthdate telling you they need the information to verify that they are talking to the right person.  After they get the information, they tell you that they have the wrong... "John Doe" and hang up.  They now have enough information to steal your idenity.  Sometimes they ask for credit card information, too.

It's easy to fall for this because they sound so official and they say they are from THE COURT.  Woooooo.  LOL  If someone should use this on you, tell them you have to find the information and tell them you will call the court back.  That should end the conversation.

I confirmed this report on truthorfiction.com. 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

There are so many scams going on right now, I do hope people will take heed. If anyone phones me who I don't know I always tell them they should make an appointment with me through my agent! Lol! It normally goes quiet on the other end of the line then they hang up! Jeannette xx  http://journals.aol.co.uk/jlocorriere05/Welcometomytravels/  

Anonymous said...

It's amazing that people don't know not to give information out.....but some of that stuff does sound real!!

Pooh Hugs,
Linda~

Anonymous said...

The things people will do to steal!  Thanks for sharing this.

Monica