Saturday, January 13, 2007

A pow wow, resolved feelings and a favor done lovingly

I don't have a lot of time to do a long entry this morning but I wanted to jot down a few things before the day gets away from me. 

The PowWow:

I made an appointment with my son and his wife for this past Thursday night.  I went down to their house around 6:30 so I could spend an hour with the kids before they went to bed and then I sat with Bryan and Shannon and talked to them about my feelings surrounding Christmas.

It wasn't totally about their being irresponsible at Christmas, it was also about them keeping their commitments and treating me with the same respect that I treat them.  It was a very low key, loving conversation.  I explained how they have always known me to be very kick back about things.  I used to make everything, even bad behavior, OK.   I won't be doing that anymore.  I want to be treated respectfully and if they tell me they will do something they better do it or let me know they can't so I can make other arrangements.  They were surprised that it bothered me so much but after they thought about it, understood and agreed that they wouldn't let it happen again.

We talked about a lot of other things, too, so they would know the changes and the other places that I am focusing on to change.  I told them that I need their support and encouragement and I think I will get it.

I've had several conversations over the phone with both of them since and they have been very warm and nice.  I sure feel a lot better getting it off my chest.  It wasn't, in the grand scope of things, a huge deal but it was something that needed to be settled between us.  My feelings have been resolved.

My dear friend, Sylvia's father passed away last Monday.  Today is his funeral.  When I asked what I could do she said 'nothing', everything was handled.  A few days later she called and asked if my offer was still open and I told her 'of course!'.  She asked me to babysit her niece's 3 yr. old son and 1 yr. old daughter so she and her husband wouldn't have to take them to the services.  So, that is what I'm doing today.  I'm going to Syl's mom's home and I will stay with the little ones so their parents can go to the funeral.  My son will be dropping off Andrew and he will be staying with me during the chapel service.  Bryan isn't going to the cemetery after the chapel so Andrew will only be with me for about 2 hours.  I will get to pay my respects to the family after the services and to do something special for them and for my friend.  My heart is happy today.

It's 38 degrees at 8:45 a.m.  Sky is clear, a little breezy but otherwise beautiful outside.  The heater has been cranking out warm air all night.  Thank God for heaters.  LOL

Psssst.....  rest in peace Ted.  You were a wonderful man and a terrific father and grandfather.

 

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

So glad the talk went well...bet you feel much better! :)  It's hard to be honest -- esp. with family but you feel so much better once it is done!

Janis

Anonymous said...

I am glad you got it all resolved and are feeling better about things...Jae

Anonymous said...

Ibet you feel so much better now you have aired your views ,its good to talk things through ,and clear up any misunderstandings ,love Jan xx

Anonymous said...

It's always nice when we can get things off our chests without harsh words and yelling, sounds like you did a stelllar job of lovingly letting them know what was bothering you.  We can all learn a lesson from you!
~~Kath~~

Anonymous said...

Sometimes it much better when we`ve cleared the air, particularly without an argument. I`m glad you`ve got these matters resolved.

Sandra xxxx

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you were able to clear the air and so glad it was resolved warmly and with no hurt feelings....THAT is something to be very proud of!! I know it had been bothering you though, so I'm happy you feel better inside. :)
I'm sorry your friend lost her Father....I will keep her family in my prayers.

Pooh Hugs,
Linda~

Anonymous said...

The world spins so fast & it's always best to speak up.  Especially to family.  You are a great friend!  xox  rose~

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you got the air cleared - it makes things so much better and takes a load off the shoulders.  Saying a prayer for your friend and her family, may they stay strong.

Monica