Friday, January 26, 2007

Nice Day

It was a very nice day to drive to Rancho Santa Fe.  The traffic going down was pretty light and I made it in 90 minutes with a 15 minute break.  I stopped at a Target to pick up some small cactus plants to take to Carol's MIL.  She loves cactus and would prefer those to cut flowers that die in a few days.  She is recovering well from her knee surgery.  I was surprised at how well she is getting around and what a good attitude she has about her recovery. 

Carol, Nedda and I visited until around 1:30.  Around then, George (Carol's FIL) got home and the physical therapist came to work with Nedda so Carol and I took off for a few hours.  We went to our favorite store, Coldwater Creek, and tried on a few things.  I didn't buy anything.  There are few things in their new catalog I want to order so I tried on similar clothes so I could judge what size to order.  Neither of us left with new clothes.  We walked to a fun Italian restaurant for lunch.  I just love the smell of an Italian restaurant when you walk in.  The smell of the spices, fresh bread baking, and the soups simmering is so delicious!  We both had a chopped antipasto salad and iced tea.  The salad was delicious.  Nice for a change. YUMMY

After lunch we wandered around the shops for an hour and then went back to the house.  My BIL helped pick a big bag of oranges for me to bring home.  I had one for a snack after I first got there and they are as wonderful as I remember.  The Valencia oranges are the juice oranges.  They are about 98% juice.  Sweet and the aroma is so lovely.  The navel oranges are more tart but they are delicious in their own way.  They have thicker skins and break into sections easier so you can peel them and then pull them apart to eat without making a huge mess.  They also have lemon and lime trees but the fruit wasn't ripe so I didn't bring any home.  I'll probably go  back down in a few months and get some when they are in season.

It took a little over 2 hours to get home.  I hit the rush hour so it was slow going for most of the way.  I didn't mind.  I listened to the radio and just relaxed.  No use getting all uptight about it, right?

I'm watching the grandkids on Sunday while my son and DIL go to dinner and a movie.  OH, BOY!  I'm looking forward to it.  Dennis is going with me so it will be extra fun for the kids to have both of us there.  I might pick up a new DVD and take it with us as a surprise.  We can have popcorn and watch a movie together. 

I am seeing a dermatologist next Tuesday about a growth on the back of my left hand.  It's been there for a while and it's been getting bigger lately so I need to have it looked at.  Of course, I've been online looking at pictures of skin cancer and all the dread skin diseases to see which one I have.  LOL  None of the pictures online look like this thing on my hand so I'm taking that as a good thing.  While I'm there I'm going to get a full skin check.  May as well have the doctor check it all.  I had several bad sunburns in the past and I worry that I will get skin cancer at some point.  They say even one blistering sunburn increases your chances.  I have sensitive skin that burns and doesn't tan so I always have to wear sun screen. 

I've run out of things to write about for now.  Until later.................boogidy boogidy boo

 

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you had a really lovely day and the oranges sound delicious lol.
Take care
Debbie

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you had a good day with Carol and Nedda. Have fun with the grand children. Enjoy the juicy oranges! I hope all goes well when you see the dermatologist next week. Jeannette xx  

Anonymous said...

I'm pleased you enjoyed your trip ,and a little look into the shop to try on the clothes you mihght have to order from their catalogue ,the oranges sound delicious ,hope the growth on your hand is nothing .love Janxx

Anonymous said...

Your day out sounds nice.  Lucky!  I'm Italian so yes, the Italian restaurants are always refrshing to me.  The vinegar dressing on the salads are like no other. I like you attitude about no stress about driving in traffic.  True, Why Stress?  :)
http://journals.aol.com/mrsm711/LatteDah/     Tracy

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you had a good day with Carol and her MIL....it all sounds fun. I'm glad to see you are doing better from your last entry......I'm always here ya know and you can unload to me when you're going through something like that. Trust me when I say I understand! I'm so proud of you for fighting your way through it and calling your Doctor to get a hold on things....THAT was very smart. You have come a long way and your determination will keep you on the right path. We all detour off at times, so don't be too hard on yourself......you were challenged and YOU WON!!! You're my hero, Kathy :)

Pooh Hugs,
Linda~

Anonymous said...

The oranges sound wonderful!  I am sure the dermatologist will tell you it's nothing.  Good for you for getting it checked, though!  Jae

Anonymous said...

I would love to go to Santa Fe..I read these books by Barbara Samuel and they are all set in Santa Fe...it just sounds so beautiful..
Lyn

Anonymous said...

oh my I hope you are ok, I have a spot on my arm that freaks me out too.  I spent years frying in baby oil in the sun!!  sounds like you had a great day in Santa Fe...send some heat this a --- way!!  rose

Oh and hope you day with the kiddos didn't end up like ours...my two grandsons barfed all day on Sunday and my husband and I spent the afternoon passing kids around to each other!