Friday, January 5, 2007

A Cold and Blustery Day

I'm literally 'chillin' this morning.  It's cold and windy outside.  The temp is 52 degrees but with the wind blowing 40 mph the wind chill has to be near 40.  There isn't a cloud in the sky -- the wind blew them all the way to Kansas.  We did get a little rain last night so this morning everything is clean and the air smells wonderful.  I read on Weather Bug that a wind alert has been extended through to Saturday night at 6 p.m. so we have to 'batten down the hatches' (whatever that means).

I'm waiting for the morning update on Dad.  My mom will call Carol and she will call me.  We are trying to relay everything through one phone call to save my Mom's energy and from her having to repeat herself.  I had the job of calling my brother last night.  I hadn't spoken to him in about 10 months.  It was surreal.  It's Carol's turn next (lucky girl).  I'm going to tell her to have him watch his e-mail.  I would rather just send him the updates electronically.  Is that cold?  Ah, yes but oh, well.  I can be cold to someone who is cold to me.

I just talked to my brother-in-law.  He said he heard on the news that there is a cold front moving down from the north that is supposed to bring record cold.  Snow to the 500' level if there is moisture in the clouds.  He's worried about his lettuce garden so we brain stormed.  My sister is in San Luis at Wal-Mart so he got off the phone real fast to call her.  We thought if she bought a small heater and a tarp, he could set up a tent with the heater inside and save his little lettuce crop.  It's not a lot of lettuce but he's so proud of his garden.  I hope it works - I can't wait to find out.

It's nearly 10:00 so I'm closing for now.  I want to get to the mall when it opens. I need to go to the beauty supply for some hair products.  I'll probably stop by Sips and get coffee and say hi to Cari on my way home.  She gave me a gift certificate for Coldwater Creek (my most favorite store) for Christmas. I want to see if she would like to go shopping with me when she gets off work this afternoon.  It's burning a hole in my pocket!  I think it would be fun if she helped me pick out something spunky.

As Tigger would say, "Ta ta for now."

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think "batten down the hatches" is a nautical term...batten them down because if a big wave comes along the boat might sink.  It's cold here too...and there's a snow prediction for areas 500 feet above sea level. Which doesn't include me but you never know in the pacific northwest.  My friend Bob has a daughter and family in Pasadena...her husband is always calling me, giving me a bad time about the rain up here.  She called me last night with birthday wishes and confessed it was raining in Pasadena, but that Jerry wasn't home yet, so I couldn't talk to him about it...I told her to tell him that  it was nice and sunny here yesterday.  LOL            Of course she was born and raised up here so she knows all about weather in the Seattle-Tacoma area.   Have a good day.....Linda in WA  

Anonymous said...

Enjoy your day!  I hope the lettuce is saved!  Jae

Anonymous said...

'A wind blowing all the way from Kansas'isnt that where Dorothy comes from lol ? hope your Dad is improving ,have fun shopping with Carrie...love Jan xx

Anonymous said...

I hope your brother in law doesn't lose his lettuces Kathy! Also hope your dad is doing well too, it must be such a worry for your mum. Enjoy your day and I hope you get to the store to spend your gift certificate! Jeannette xx  http://journals.aol.co.uk/jlocorriere05/Welcometomytravels/  

Anonymous said...

I hope the lettuce was saved!!!! Snuggle down....and tie down the shutters. :)

Pooh Hugs,
Linda~

Anonymous said...

Brrrrrrrrrrrr!  I hear what you're saying Kathy! It is cold!!  It's nearly 6pm, and it's already 47 outside.  Supposed to drop down to about 30 degrees tonite!  I will say this though.  I would rather have this weather than that dang blasted heat from hell we have in the summer! lol  They say that because it has been such a mild winter for the midwest and east coast.. that we will have an even hotter summer this year!  Great.. :(   I can't freakin' wait... :/

Keeping your dad in my prayers..

Hugs
Jackie