Saturday, August 5, 2006

Saturday Afternoon Updates

Life is returning to normal around here today.  I took Mika to the Study Center at 6:15 this morning so she and the other 24 girls could board the bus that took them to LAX to catch their flight home.  If things went as planned, their flight departed about 30 minutes ago. 

It was an emotional morning.  Many of the girls were very upset and tearful about separating from their Host Families.  Isn't it amazing how you can get so attached in just 2 weeks?  There were lots of hugs, promises to keep in touch, tears, girls waiting until the last second to get on the bus, and families standing together waving as the bus pulled away.

Mika separated from me right away.  She joined a group of girls and became the clown of the group.  She did not want to get emotional and did what she could to distance herself from those feelings.  I understand and I was not hurt.  I know she had a great time and that she liked us very much.  She just wasn't able to handle the feelings. 

Her reaction didn't keep me from shedding a few tears when saying good bye to the girls in my car pool.  When they said good bye to me, all three cried and hugged me.  That got to me.  I can't see someone cry like that without tearing up myself.  

What a wonderful 2 weeks!  It flew by in a flurry of activity and fun.  Our family is better for having experienced having Mika with us and I am thankful that I changed my mind and agreed to host.  Am I glad it's over?  YES!  I am overjoyed about having my time back and getting this house back in shape.  It looks like a whirlwind whipped thru here.  But, hey, I can clean it up in a day or so.  I would have missed out on something very special if I would have said 'no' to the experience.

Now some praise reports about other things:  First, my Aunt Helen is doing GREAT!  I am so happy to report that her 2nd broken hip has healed to the point where she can bear full weight on it during physical therapy.  Also, she is totally OFF oxygen.  She has had to wearan oxygen tube and have a tank of the stuff in her home for 3 1/2 years.  She is doing so well, her Dr. took her off and said she can stay off as long as she continues to do this well.  It's like a miracle!!!  She has been so surrounded by prayer that she is being  healed of many ailments.  Thank you, Lord.  She, her doctor, and her family are all so encouraged.

There is another praise report in the works.  I won't write about it today because I do not want to jinx it.  I am just continuing to pray and ask God to make something happen that will be such a good thing for our family. 

My next project, after getting my house back in order, is to get ready for our vacation to Alaska at the end of the month.  We leave on Aug. 26 for Vancouver, B.C.  Our cruise begins on the 27th.  I need clothes!  I have been shopping and I'm having a hard time finding things I like.  I'm in a new size which is wonderful and I have the money set aside to spend which is great BUT the clothes I'm seeing in the stores are not that attractive.  I am meeting a friend on Tuesday for a day of shopping and I will go to my favorite store, Coldwater Creek later in the week if I don't finish on Tuesday.  Wish me luck.  I shopped from 11:00 - 2:30 the other day, tried on about 20 things and came home with a knit top and a pair of jeans.

Tomorrow I am going to spend some time catching up on reading journals.  I've tried to stay current but tomorrow I am going to catch up.

Until later..................................        ô..ô

 

 

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

You should be so proud of yourself ,having Mika in your home and making her feel so welcome ,I'm sure she will never forget you .hope you find some nice holiday clothes ...........Jan xx

Anonymous said...

I'm sure the experience with Mika was one you will never forget, but at the same time, I'm sure you're glad to get your house back to normal!

I bet you're excited about your cruise to Alaska!  How exciting!  I hope you take lots of pictures!

Good luck finding clothes!  I hate clothes shopping!  Hate it!  Hate it!  Hate it!

Hugs,
Jackie

Anonymous said...

I'm so pleased you aunt is doing so well! I bet Mika will have lots of stories to tell her parents and friends about her time with you. I hope you can find some clothes for your vacation. Jeannette xx  

Anonymous said...

Happy to hear about your aunt.  I'm sure your family will never be the same after having Mika in your home for 2 weeks.  It would be an awesome experience.  Do you have a Gottschalks in your area?  That's where I found most of the stuff I needed, and the prices are reasonable, too.
My departure time is getting closer.  This time next week, I'll be on that ship.  I have to pinch myself everytime I think about it..........Linda in WA  

Anonymous said...

i bet you will miss her

Anonymous said...

i always love good news!  i am with you it's so hard to find clothes that look good!  everything looks so, so you know weird!  rose