Thursday, August 17, 2006

Progress Report

I walked yesterday and I managed to do some sewing.  I hemmed a skirt and a pair of pants.  I fixed a top that was too big thru the shoulders and I mended a pair of shorts for my daughter's fiance.  I also sewed, or re-sewed buttons on four items.  Have you all noticed how the buttons fall off new garments so easily these days?  I have to re-sew almost every button on every shirt and pant that I buy even if I spend a lot for it.  It irritates me so much!  I have to check each button before I wash something so I don't lose it in the the wash machine.  I never had to do that before this year.  It's all the things made in the Asian countries.  They think three stitches in each button hole is going to secure it - it doesn't.

Today I'm going to do another 30 min. walk and go pick up some thread to hem two pair of pants.  I don't have the right green or brown. 

That's if for now.  More later.                      ~..ô

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

i agree, things are not made well at all anymore.  good for you !  keep up the good work!  xoxoRose~

Anonymous said...

I get sick of losing buttons and seeing threads hanging off of things I just bought.  I'm not a seamstress.  If I was, I would probably make my own clothes.   It's ridiculous how much we pay for things, and they fall apart before they even hit the washing machine!

Hugs,
Jackie

Anonymous said...

Have never thought about it. Hubby and I do not have that many clothes with buttons these days.  I suppose it is because overseas workers are so much cheaper and I guess if I was being paid a pittance I would not bother about putting too much cotton in either.
http://journals.aol.co.uk/jeanno43/JeannettesJottings/

Anonymous said...

you are doing pretty dange goood

Anonymous said...

You`ve been very busy Kathy.  I agree with you about buttons, I`m always having to sew them tighter so I don`t lose them. :o)

Sandra xxxx

Anonymous said...

You're doing well with the exerise. They certainly don't make clothes like they used to! Jeannette xx  

Anonymous said...

I agree with the button issue.  Only thing, I am not a good "fixer" and sometimes the thing that needs fixed spends so much time in the "needs to be fixed" pile, that we all forget about it!  You just described more sewing than I have done in 20 some years!  Told you I am not a good fixer!  That's what my Mom did for me...but she never taught me how to do it, myself!  Jae

Anonymous said...

You've been a busy bee ,well done ...Jan xx