Tuesday, July 4, 2006

What A Fun Day!

We had such a good time today.  It was beautiful in Costa Mesa - warm with a great breeze.  Bud and Andrea Birch hosted the event.  They have the perfect back yard for a gathering like this.  A nice patio, a lovely lawn, a sand pile for the kids with a swing set and slide.  They had a large, 3 lane Slip and Slide set up and a small wading pool for the kids.  There weren't as many people there as I expected which was a good thing when the sparklers came out after dinner.

Bud and Andrea have two girls, Amy (5) and Brooke (3).  Andrea's brother Mike, his wife, Leanne and their three kids, Emily (8), Haley (6) and Colin (3) were there as well as  my son, Bryan, his wife Shannon and their three kids, Megan (7), Nathan (4) and Andrew (19 mo.).  A few of their neighbors dropped by bringing 3 other children to the party.  Bud's parents came around 4:30 for dinner and fireworks.  There was a house full of people.  In all the time we were there, I didn't hear one cross word between any of those children.  They played so well together that it was a joy to sit outside and watch them.  They laughed, splashed, played games, and even made up a little parade to entertain the adults after dinner.  I was very impressed with their behavior...not one of them needed a correction about anything. 

Dennis and I were especially happy to see our dear friends, Tom and Sylvia.  We have known them for over 30 years.  They are parents to Andrea and Mike.  They have another son, Ed, who wasn't able to be there today.  Sylvia used to take care of Bryan while I worked when he was a little guy.  He and her son, Mike have been friends since they were 6 or 7 years old.  Since I don't have any nieces or nephews, I have adopted Sylvia and Tom's kids to fill that spot in my life.  Sylvia is the dearest friend anyone could ever hope to have.  She is thoughtful, loving, and kind.  She'd do anything for her family and friends.  She and I can talk about anything and we do.  LOL  The four of us found a spot to sit together for dinner and had a great time talking, laughing and catching up.

Since Dennis and I have to get up at the crack of dawn we left early.  The people on the street where Bud and Andrea live go all out with the fireworks.  We thought it would be a good idea to get out of there while it was still light so we wouldn't interrupt any of the displays.

There was NO traffic coming home.  It was almost freaky.  I wish it was like that all the time!

That's it for tonight.  I'm tired.  Until later..........ô..ô

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great pictures ,what a lovely day with family and friends ,and the children at play ,sounds ideal ......Jan xx

Anonymous said...

Love seeing your pics slip and slides are sooooooooooo much fun. I really really love seeing kids onthem. looks like nathan almost hit the grass before the end of it. I saw your friends shirt at walmart this week. alsmot got it for my mom. But think I ll wait till it goes on sale and get it for her b day lol which is in Sept.

Anonymous said...

It sounds like a fun day was had by all of you, the children look like they were having fun, glad that you all had a happy 4th july
take care Lynne xx

Anonymous said...

The pictures are great, isn't it nice to watch kids play with mo arguments or fighting? Glad the journey  home was good too! Jeannette xx  

Anonymous said...

A three-lane Slip 'n Slide???  I wanna play!  Glad you had such a good time!  Jae

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a wonderful day packed with your Grandchildren's future 4th of July memories :)
The pictures were great except someone was missing. Hmmmmmmm, I wonder who that could be?!?!?!?

Pooh Hugs,
Linda~