Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Tuesday Question

Ever get an invitation to a wedding that refers you to a web site for the dress code for the ceremony?  A friend's son is marrying a girl who's parents are from India.  They are both children of doctors so there is a lot of money on both sides.  The web site says:  Formal gowns or Saris for ladies in bright colors - no black.  Suits and ties for men, black is OK.    This rubbed me the wrong way, to be honest.  I think it assumes quite a bit.  It assumes that every woman invited has the money to go out and purchase a brightly colored formal gown for the wedding or if they are from India, they must wear a colorful sari which are not inexpensive.  Does it mean if some one does not have the money to buy a new brightly colored gown that she should just not attend?  Am I being too picky or is this wedding just out of my league? It seems very superficial to me.  Is what someone wears to the wedding more important than having that person there to celebrate the beginning of their life together? 

 Makes me feel like that $30.00 Target Gift Card just ain't gonna cut it as a gift.  LMAO  -  Just kidding about the gift card. 

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh I never heard of this before ,so you cant wear your jeans and tee shirt then lol ?...........Jan xx

Anonymous said...

heck after that I send them etiquitte on asking more than is required. some have tight budgets adn such. it sounds like they dont NEED anything they alreayd have had too much I think I d skip it

Anonymous said...

This is why I avoid all social events...!  Lol on the gift card!!!  Jae

Anonymous said...

That's a new one to me.  I just got an invitation to a wedding at a very la-te-da place near my home.  It's the type of place where you would dress formal.  And they had included the little RSVP card for the reception and where it says "number of guests______"  They had written in "1."  Which means I would have had to go alone (I've had a significant other for 15 years & the groom to be knows this) , not knowing who would be there that I would know, I'd have to go out and get not only a fancy dress but an expensive gift .  Guess what?  I declined the invitation.  it just rubbed me the wrong way.    Linda in WA  

Anonymous said...

humph ... it what I have to say!  rose