Tuesday, July 18, 2006

During the summer I feel like I'm in a time warp.  It's the heat.  Each day is the same as the day before and there is no hope that tomorrow will be any different than today.  Hot, hot, hot.  I hate the heat.  I can't put it any other way.  I would rather freeze my a$$ off than be hot.  Living in this part of Southern California, I have developed good coping skills and I survive.  The thing that I'm having a BIG problem with this year is our electric bill.  The electric company is charging 3X more for each kilowatt we use that exceeds what we used last year.  Last year we had a mild summer.  The air conditioner wasn't running 24/7.  It just seems unfair that we get penalized for something we have no control over.  Ahrrrrr.  It just drives me nuts!   Ok, now I'm stepping down from my soap box.

I must have lost my mind in this heat.  LOL  I have volunteered to host a Japanese Student for 2 weeks starting THIS Thursday.  My daughter's friend, Stephanie, is the group leader and she is desperate to find 13 more homes for this group and she has a day to do it.  She called me a week ago and asked. I was assertive and told her, "No, we've had enough of that."  We have hosted 7 other students from Japan over the years and feel that we've enjoyed it just about as much as we are going to enjoy it.  Today, she called again and I caved.  I guess it was all the whimpering in her voice that got to me.  Anyway, we will have a 15 or 16 year old Japanese girl living here for 2 weeks.  I am expecting someone who speaks very little English and who understands even less.  I am already working on my patience because it is an amazing thing -- after about 3 days, the ability to communicate is established and things smooth out and just get better (USUALLY).  I'm hoping for the best.  We have only had one student who was absolutely awful.  He was a high school kid mixed in with a group of university students and he did not want to come.  His Dad made him come and he was NOT going to have a good time no matter what.  He actually slept fully dressed, shoes and all, on top of the covers every night he was with us.  I was really glad when it was time for him to go home.  The others were wonderful and when they left there were tears and heart ache.  I'm prepared for either but do hope for the later.

I would write more but I have to get busy preparing my house for our visitor.  I will be taking pictures to share!

Until later.....................   ô..ô

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

OH man time warp!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL Yeah I can say that.

My granny fell today. she broker her hip and has head trauma. pray for herpleas.

Anonymous said...

I never had the opportunity to do participate in housing an exchange student.  I really wished I had.  It would have been quite the experience, I'm sure.

Can't wait to see the pictures!

And.. I am with you on the heat!  I hate it too!!  With a passion!

Jackie

Anonymous said...

It's a bit like that in the u.k. at the moment - and we're just not prepared for the heatwave - no air conditioning....we just melt!  Good luck with the student.

Anonymous said...

Can I have yourheat please, I love it. We haven't got a/c over here so we fry when it's hot but I'd rather be hot than cold. Cold makes me so miserable! I hope the student is better than the one who slept fully clothed!! Jeannette xx  

Anonymous said...

ahhhh the power company bills!  I am still paying on installment the natural gas bill from our freezing Illinois winter.  One month it was ugly high.  Now we are supposed to have raises in our electricity too.  You are a brave soul!  ~rose~

Anonymous said...

Im surprised that awful student didnt put you off for good and all ,did you have to comment on how it went, afterwards ? I do hope you get on OK with this one ....Jan xx