Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Four Days In Paradise (Part III)

I'm still chillin' after the weekend.  I have jumped back into my life here in Riverside but I'm still on vacation MODE in my head and heart.  I guess writing about the weekend has kept that feeling going.  I hope it doesn't end when this entry is finally complete.

Early Saturday morning, on the way to our 2 mile walk along the ocean, Keith, Carol, Dennis and I stopped off at one of the shops on Main Street so Carol and I could go in and see a mutual friend.  While she and I were talking to D. the guys went next door to a store that sells carved wood items imported from Asia and Africa.  When Carol and I finished our visit with D. and headed back to the car, Dennis took my hand and lead me into the Import Store.  "I want you to see something."  I knew something was up.  He never wants me to see something inside of a store.  LOL  He took me in and began showing me all the beautiful pieces of carved wood sculptures that were on display.  Dragons that stood at least 3 1/2 feet tall that were carved out of a single piece of wood with the finest detailing were right at the door when we went in.  There were graceful giraffes, a pot-bellied gorilla, birds of many varieties and a beautiful carved bull elephant.  Dennis pointed to the elephant, "What do you think of this?"  I told him, "He's beautiful."

Dennis smiled, ran his hand over the smooth mahogany wood and said, "I want to buy this."  I glanced at the price and felt my eyebrows disappear under my bangs.  EEK.....  I nodded and swallowed, "You do?"  He nodded and knelt down to get a better look, "There is something about this that just touches my soul."

"Oh, God."  I felt my heart rate increase a little and my blood pressure go up a tad.  "It's kind of expensive............"

"It's art!"  He announced proudly. 

Well, I couldn't disagree with that.  It is a beautiful sculpture and it is a piece of art.  But it was a lot of money for a chunk of elephant shaped wood.  He could see the wheels spinning in my head so he backed off a bit.  "Let's talk about it."

I agreed and we left.  During the rest of that day, the topic came and went.  He was doing most of the talking.  He would talk himself into buying it and then talk himself out of it.  It was art and worth it and then it was too expensive and the money could go other places.  It was a WANT and not a NEED.  On and on.  Finally he asked me again and I said, "Look, you never go out and spend money like this.  Why don't you take the money out of the sum your Dad just left you and think of this as a gift from him?"  His eyes lit up and he smiled, "OK.  I think that's a good idea."  So after about 9 hours of negotiating with himself, Dennis finally decided to treat himself and we went to the shop and he brought the elephant home.  He has a royal place in our entry where he can greet all who come to our door.  He is beautiful and I am amazed that someone could sculpt something this detailed out of one piece of wood.  The tusks were added.  I'm not sure if they are real ivory.  I doubt it because I think it's illegal to import ivory to the U.S.

Sunday morning, with the elephant bubble wrapped and seat belted in the back seat of our car, we were off to have breakfast with Carol and Keith before heading home.  We visited with them for a little while and then hit the road around 9:00 a.m.  After a stop at Starbuck's in San Luis Obispo, we headed south on the Highway 101 until we got to the Guadalupe exit.  Since I had never seen the sand dunes before, we decided to drive out there.  What a beautiful drive.  It's about 9 miles from the 101, down a road lined with fields of crops like lettuce, strawberries, corn, and other green things I couldn't identify. 

The Guadalupe Sand Dune State Park is one big sand pile.  Miles of white, clean, perfect sand dunes that roll along the coast line from Guadalupe north to Pismo Beach.  The State has protected these dunes so people can't use dune buggies and other gas powered vehicles to destroy the pristine sand and coastline environment.  There are a few plants that have adapted to the sand and grow there but it pretty much looks like a scene out of the Arabian desert movies.  It was rather foggy that morning so I wasn't able to take more pictures.  We hope to drive from Guadalupe to Pismo Beach along the ocean instead of on the freeway the next time we go to Cambria to see the rest of the dunes and the coast line of that area.

After the sand dunes, we found our way back to the 101 and finished our trip home.  When we got out of the car in Riverside, we were slammed with 100 degree weather but we were also greeted by a very happy little Westie who missed us very much.  We hired one of Cari's friends to babysit for Kasey while we were gone.  She got lots of attention and loving but there's nothing like having Mommy and Daddy back home.

The end....................   ô..ô

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh yes he is a magnificent elephant,I'm so pleased you talked Dennis into buying him ,hope he remembers ,when you get the urge to buy a want rather than a need that you cant live without lol .....Jan xx

Anonymous said...

Kasey is adorable! I'm glad Dennis finally talked himself into buying the elephant! It's nice to sometimes by things you don't need. Lif would be very mundane if everything we bought was for a purpose! Jeannette xx  

Anonymous said...

now caseys face is just priceless love that cute look and the ears.