Saturday, July 1, 2006

A Day of Heart Felt Emotions

Last night we got home, after spending the evening with our son's family, to find several messages on the answer machine.  When I heard the one from my friend, Sylvia asking me to call her I knew something was wrong.  It was already nearly 10 p.m. but she's a night owl so I didn't hesitate calling her.  "I have some terrible news to tell you."  she said.  I braced myself and asked, "What?"  "Erin's husband, Brian, was killed in a motorcycle accident Thursday night."  I could hear her words but they weren't making any sense.  "What?"  She repeated the news and then added, "He was on his way home from work.  I guess he was getting off an off ramp and went into a skid.  He it a concret pillar and was killed instantly."  My God, My God.  I didn't know what to say.  "I can't believe I'm hearing this."   She started to cry,  "I know."

   Erin grew up around the corner from us when Dennis and I lived in our first house in Chino Hills.  She is the youngest of four kids of our friends, Donna and Larry.  She's  in her late 20's now.  Brian, her husband was 35.  They have 2 boys, 4 and 2, and she is due to have a baby girl in September.  They were going to move into a new house this very weekend.  Erin is legally blind.  She can see shadows and can make out some forms but nothing more than that.  She and her oldest brother, Jeff, both inherited a gene from each parent that caused this blindness that began to show up in both of them when they were between 8 and 10 years old.  The middle two, Lynn and David  were not effected.  Inspite of her vision loss, Erin has never let anything stop her from doing everything she has wanted to do.  She is warm, loving, outgoing, funny, and delightful.  At her wedding to Brian, when no one was dancing, she got behind the microphone and announced, "This is my wedding and if you guys don't get up and dance, I'm going to cry."  Well, that was all everyone needed to hear.  They all got up and danced the night away so Erin wouldn't cry.  My heart just aches for her today.  I know she is surrounded by her family and good friends.  In the long run, I know her determination and the fight in her will help her get through all of this but, gosh darn it, I wish she didn't have to.  Her children probably won't remember the wonderful man who was their Daddy.  Brian was so warm, kind, friendly and most of all, he cherished Erin and his kids.  It's a tragic loss. 

 

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry to hear this Kathy. Poor Erin, it must seem so unbelievable to her too. I pray she'll be able to cope with her family behind her. Jeannette xx  

Anonymous said...

OH so sad IM so sorry to hear this is the thrid motercyle death I have heard of a man in his 30s in a week!!!!!!!I pray peace and comfort and directio for these families

Anonymous said...

Oh Kathy, what a sad and tragic story. I'm so sorry that Erin is having to go through this. I will keep her, the children, and her unborn daughter in my prayers as they go through this horrible time and try to begin the healing process. I'll pray for you, too, that God will guide you with the right words said, and the perfect touch given in your comforting of Erin.


Pooh Hugs,
Linda~

Anonymous said...

What a terrible tragedy.  Two tiny ones and one yet to be born.  Life seems very cruel sometimes.  Poor Erin, I cannot imagine how she must be feeling.  I hope and pray that she is surrounded by love and support that will remain not just for the time being but ongoing. She sounds a lovely person.

http://journals.aol.co.uk/jeanno43/JeannettesJottings/

Anonymous said...

I hope and pray that Erin finds the strength to cope with her very sad loss my heart goes out to you all,
God bless everyone of you
take care Lynne xx

Anonymous said...

This is such a sad story!  You are right, what is there that you can say to someone that would comfort them at a time like this. I think just being there for your friend is enough. It sounds like Erin will be in a lot of peoples prayers.  Its sad knowing that the children will grow up not physically knowing Brian but i am sure that they will grow up having a truly vivid mental image of thier Daddy's memory.
Take Care..
Terry Ü

Anonymous said...

Kathy this is so sad ,poor Erin ,I pray she will be strong enough ,with the support of her family ,to cope with this tereble tragedy ,poor girl and her children.....Jan xx

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry to read of yet another loss so close to your life, Kathy.  Prayers are extended to Erin and her family.  From what you write of her, I have no fear that her children WILL know of their father and the man he was - for her love can carry his to them, and all that he was will be a part of them forever.  Blessings to you all.

Rob

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear of the loss. Will remember the family in prayers!
God Bless,
Sugar
http://journals.aol.com/sugarsweet056/SUGARSLIFE/
http://journals.aol.com/sugarsweet056/MYBELOVEDFURRBABIES/