Thursday, July 13, 2006

A Few Funnies and One Serious

I called my sister this morning and during our talk I told her, "Hey, I have an appointment at LA Fitness on Saturday morning with a personal trainer to talk about weight training..."

Without missing a beat, she replied, "Who the hell are you and what have you done with MY sister?"

LOL

I read this in some one else's journal the other day:   A cute sign in a gift shop window: 

   "All unattended children will be given an espresso & a free puppy."

Now if that doesn't motivate Mommy to stick close to the kids, I don't know what would!

I'm cleaning this morning.  A few loads of laundry, the floors, 2 bathrooms, and some dusting.  It's HOT so I'm going to shower after the work is done.  NOT very excited about it, I guess that's why it's 10:45 and I haven't started anything except the first load of laundry.  As soon as I post this, I promise, I'm off to get started.

I am going to write about something that I have not wanted to share but that I need to get into my journal.  It's one of those, "YOU ARE NEVER GOING TO BELIEVE THIS ONE" kind of stories and because of all of the sad things I've posted over the last few months I just didn't want to add something else to the mix.  But, here goes.  I've written about my Aunt Helen falling and breaking her hip.  I've told how she went through a very scary time after her hip replacement surgery and that things were looking up since she was sent to a rehab facility.  She had been doing very well.  Her spirits were great and she was walking up to 260 feet with the use of a walker and the aid of her physical therapist during her therapy sessions.  Well, last Saturday morning, one of the male nurses helped her into the bathroom.  When she was right in front of the potty, he left her for her privacy.  As she turned to sit, her foot slipped and she fell and broke the other hip in 3 places.  Iknow!  I couldn't believe it either.  My God!!!  What else can go wrong!!  When Vicki called Carol and me in Cambria on Saturday morning after Helen had been transported to the hospital, we felt as if we had been kicked in the stomach.  She was, of course, in a great deal of pain.  She had hip surgery on Monday afternoon.  The doctor did not do a hip replacement this time because of the type of break.  He had to pin the bones and insert a metal rod down into the large leg bone to stabilize things.  Her recovery is expected to take at least another 12 weeks and the doctor told Vicki that she will most likely have to go into a nursing home or a good assisted living place. 

Now, Vicki and her sister are clearing out the new apartment that she spent a total of 5 nights in.  They are putting all of her things in storage until she gets to the end of rehab and they know what kind of facility she will require.  The good news is, she is accepting this set back with grace and humor.  She is determined to get well and do the therapy.  Her surgery went much better than the first and there were no complications with her lungs this time at all.  She went right from recovery to a regular room  No time in ICU at all this time.  Thank You, God!!!

So, there you have it.  Another SAGA..  Jeez, will this dark cloud please move over the ocean somewhere and leave our family alone, please!!!   I think we've had our share for a long, long time.

Now, I'm going to go clean this dusty house. 

Until later..........................................    ô..ô

 

      

 

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is horrible about your Aunt Helen!  I am so sorry!  I am glad she is doing okay with it, though...geez...you're right.  That is so hard to believe!  Have fun cleaning!!!  Jae

Anonymous said...

When you got to the bit after the nurse leaving her for her privacy ,I could not believe what came next ,poor Helen ,well shes had the lot now ,hope she does really well .God Bless her .........Jan xx

Anonymous said...

sorry to hear that about your aunt helen that is so unkind.

Anonymous said...

Hi Kathy,  Your poor Aunt Helen, after all she`s been through with her other hip.  I hope she makes fast recovery.

Sandra xxxx

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your poor aunt, and after all she went through with the other hip. I'm sure it should have been possible to have a female nurse to help her until she sat down and was safe to leave. I hope she recovers quickly, it must seem like a never ending thing for you all. I saw that sign in Linda's journal....... I want it for our restaurant in the childrens hospital where I work! Jeannette xx  

Anonymous said...

That is so awful!  Poor thing!  When the elderly break their hips, it's really traumatic, because so many of them have a hard time "bouncing back", so to speak.  My thoughts and prayers are with her~   I hope she recovers quickly!

Jackie

Anonymous said...

The news of Helen saddens my heart - yet her outlook and determination also inspire the soul.  Just two days ago I told myself that I should write to you to inquire abuot her health - and now to hear of this latest setback I can only imagine the range of emotions you and your family are experiencing.  Keeping you all in my prayers - and blowing long and hard to try to get that dark cloud headed out to sea!

Rob