Saturday, September 9, 2006

Saturday, September 9

 
I wrote an entry about the Inside Passage complete with pictures but when I went to save it, it was deleted.  Everyone knows how that feels - it stinks!  Seems to be happening a lot lately (in fact, this is the 2nd time I'm writing this entry, too).  I will write the Inside Passage entry again but later next week.  Now, I am preparing to write my 911 tribute to Mr. Jerrold H. Paskins and I want to get into the proper frame of mind so I can do a respectful entry to honor him.  Last night I did a lot more research and I'm so glad I took the time to do that.  I found tributes written about him by friends and co-workers that will help me paint a better picture of who he was.  I hope I can do a good job with the tribute.
 
I want to share some thoughts about 9-11 to help me go back in time and prepare to write.  One of the most personal effects of the airport shut down was that Dennis and I were scheduled to go on our first Alaska Cruise on Sept. 14th.  We were to fly from Ontario, CA to Seattle, WA and then to Anchorage, Alaska where we would take a bus to Seward to meet the ship.  When we went to bed the night of the 13th our flights were confirmed to depart as scheduled but at 2:00 in the morning, I got up to check again.  I found that we could get to Seattle but our flight to Anchorage had been cancelled.  After talking to the airlines and the cruise line, our trip was postponed and we were given a credit that we could redeem anytime in the next 12 months.  It was more of a relief than a disappointment.  Neither of us were in the mood to go on vacation.  We didn't want to be that far from home and wondered how we could even think about having fun with all the misery and suffering going on in the world at that time. 
 
A friend of mine was on a business trip in San Antonio, Texas while all the airports were closed.  Her 15 year old son was home staying with friends so he could attend school.  On September 12th, his father (her ex-husband) died of a sudden heart attack.  Liz couldn't get home to Eric and she was in a panic.  Two of the salesmen in the San Antonio office rented a car and drove her back to Southern California and then drove themselves back to Texas the next day so she could get home to her son. 
 
We all heard stories like this one.  People doing remarkable things in the face of this horrible tragedy.  People extending themselves beyond anyone's expectations and doing the tasks that would be called 'miracles here on earth'.  It was heartwarming to know that we would and could be so caring when the chips were down.
 
This week, maybe we can all do an act or two of random kindness toward someone we may or may not know.  Some unexpected thing that will make that other person feel blessed that they were in the right place at the right time.  I guarantee we will get back more than we give.  I'm going to try to do this every day this week in honor of Mr. Jerrold H. Paskins.  From what I have read about him, he was a Godly man who would have extened himself to strangers if he saw a need.  Rest in Peace, Mr. Paskins and God bless and keep your wife and son safe and in His care.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a lovely thought, Kathy.  Being as I just got through watching "Flight 93", I am really in a melancholy mood right now.  My mind has been reliving the events of 9/11 in more ways then one.  

A random act of kindess would be a positive way to start the week!

Hugs
Jackie

Anonymous said...

My friend was in Las Vegas on 9/11. All the hotels were locked up, nobody could get in or out! She was locked out all day! We do tend to forget to do random acts of kindness in our busy lives. It's a shame because when we do them people are always so grateful. Last time I did one was when I took some Russian people back to the house they were staying in, they'd got completely lost! It costs nothing to help people most times and we do get rewarded with the feeling of having helped a fellow human being. Have a great weekend, I look forward to reading your tribute. Jeannette xx  

Anonymous said...

beautiful entry Kathy, I think all of us have been forever changed ny that tragic event.  Linda in Washington          

Anonymous said...

amen Kathy, amen.  Rose~