Sunday, September 10, 2006

In Memory of Jerrold H. Paskins

 
 
 
 
 
 
A TRIBUTE TO JERROLD H. PASKINS
 
 
 

                              

 
   Jerrold H. Paskins, 57, was from Anaheim Hills, California.  He worked for Devonshire Group, an insurance company, and was in New York City for an insurance audit on the 94th floor of the World Trade Center when the first plane hit on that floor.  "It was a direct hit to the 94th floor," Inez Paskins (his wife) said, "it was instantaneous."
 
    Jerrold and Inez Paskins were married for 31 years.  They met as college students and have one son, Robert, who was 28 and living in San Francisco at the time of Mr. Paskin's death. 
 
    Mrs. Paskins described her husband as a man with a strong work ethic and a stickler for routines.  He was at his office every morning by 6, he never stopped for lunch and every day he would do push ups - one for each year of his life and then one more for good luck.
 
    Jerry, as his friends and family called him, never left the house without a ring that his wife had given him for his 40th birthday and a 1976 Bicentennial silver dollar.  When his remains were identified exactly two months after the tragedy, the ring and coin were located and returned to his family.  What a blessing for them to have these precious items back.
 
    The one fact that I learned about Mr. Paskins that warmed my heart the most was that he was a man of faith, a strong Christian who was very active in his church.  He taught Sunday school for 18 years!  What a commitment of service to the Lord.   All of the things that his friends, family and coworkers said about him conveyed his love for the Lord by how he carried himself in the world. 
 
    Words like  compassionate, kind, patient, even-tempered, good natured, dependable, and athletic were used to describe this man.  He was a runner so he could stay in shape and stay healthy for himself and his family.  He coached  youth football, basketball and baseball.  Many people described his wonderful sense of humor and said he always had a joke or funny story to share. 
 
   When I was doing my research I found an interesting website:
 
  This website shows a memory quilt that has a quilt square which was made to honor each person killed in the 9-11 tragedy.  If you'd like to view Mr. Paskin's quilt square, please click on the link below.  I was not able to copy this picture to my journal. 
 
   Jerrold Paskins sounds like the kind of guy we would all like to know and call a friend.  One coworker said Jerry encouraged him to run in a company event even though he had never been a runner.  Another man recalled what a wonderful Sunday school teacher he had been to his daughter.  Others described how nice it was to work with such a kind hearted man who had such a fun sense of humor.  I know I would have liked to have known him and by researching this and reading about him, I feel like I do know him in a way.  His story has touched my heart and has given me a challenge for this week.  I am going to look for an opportunity, each day, to do a random act of kindness as I go about my business in the world.  I am going to be more loving and offer a smile to those I make contact with as I go about my day.  It is my way of letting Mr. Paskin's love for life shine through me this week as we remember him and the other 2995 people who were lost in the terrible tragedy of 9-11. 
 
   It is comforting to know that when Mr. Paskins took his last breath here on this earth, he took his next breath in Heaven beside his Lord.  I hope that his wife, Inez, and son, Robert, are doing well on the 5th anniversary of his death. 
 
  In closing, I would just like to add a quote from Galatians, Book 5, Verse 22-23:
 
      "But the fruit of the spirit is love, joy, peace,  patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control.  Against such things there is no law."
 
  Jerrold Paskins had all of the "Fruit of the Spirit".  Rest in peace and my God bless and keep your family in His care now and always.
 
To read other tributes.
 
 
* * * * * * * *
 
 
There is another very special quilt that I want to share, too.  The link is:
   
It is a quilt called Ground Zero by Lois Jarvis of Madison, WI.  She downloaded over 1,000 pictures of the victims of 9-11 from CNN and incorporated just over 700 of these into the quilt.  She used the Lone Star pattern to represent the explosion with an outward movement.  I'm pasting a small picture of the quilt in my tribute but I encourage you to go to the site and see the enlarged photo.  It is an amazing piece of art work.
 
                               Click here to see a larger picture
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Sources:
 
 
 
Cross & Crescent, March, 2002, page 8
 
 
The Orange County Register, September 18, 2001, article by Diane Reed
 
 

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

You have done a wonderful tribute my friend. I am sure his friends and family would be proud.  Seeing him running like that reminded me of my brother who ran in marathons all over the world. He died very suddenly also in 2001 although, of course, not in those terrible circumstances.  I posted my 2996 entry today as well.

http://journals.aol.co.uk/jeanno43/JeannettesJottings/

Anonymous said...

A wonderful entry, he sounded such a lovely man Kathy. I'm sure he's looking down and looking after his family now. It was so sad to do this assignment, learning details of somebody's past life, knowing you would never meet them. God bless all the victims and their families! Jeannette xx  http://journals.aol.co.uk/jlocorriere05/Welcometomytravels

Anonymous said...

That was a lovely tribute to a lovely man ,I think we have all been affected by doing these dedications to our victims,we dont and cant know know them and yet,it has somehow brought them into our lives ,and it has become our loss too ,we must never forget ,.,.,.,Jan xx

Anonymous said...

A very nice tribute to a very nice man. So sad, I've cried sooo much today & will tomorrow. TY!
Sugar

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful tribute to a fine man.

Sandra xxxx

Anonymous said...

A Lovely tribute to a lovely man,
take care Lynne xx

Jerry's Friend said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jerry's Friend said...

Jerry and I worked together for two years at Devonshire Group. He was my mentor and friend. I will remember him always exactly as is described in your research of this most fine man. I can only hope that when my day comes, I too will be remembered like Jerry. RIP Jerry, you will always be in our hearts.