Monday, September 25, 2006

Oh, What A Weekend!

 

My weekend started off joyfully.  I got to go to my daughter-in-law's ultrasound appointment with her.  After the tech took some initial pictures, I was able to go in, (carrying Andrew) and see my new grandchild on the ultrasound screen.  I saw a perfect little head, eye sockets, a spinal column, ribs, two arms, two active - kicking legs, and best of all, a little beating heart chugging along at 168 beats per minute.  Wow!  It is so amazing how clear the images are these days.  Back when I was pregnant with Cari she looked like a vibrating kidney bean on a black screen when I was 11 weeks along.  Shannon was 12 weeks - 5 days according to the ultrasound measurements.  That's amazing, too, that they can figure out down to THE day!  Andrew couldn't quite figure out where the 'baby' was.  He pointed at the screen and asked, "Baby?" and I would say, "Yes."  He would shake his head 'no' and then point and ask again.  I know he was looking for something more like a photograph.  It's hard to explain to a 20 month old. 

Bryan and Shannon got on their way around 12:30.  They had to stop and see a house they were interested in renting before leaving town.  Rentals are hard to come by and if this was a good one, they wanted to secure it before the weekend.  Lucky thing they did stop, it's a good fit for them and their family.  It's got just about everything they could want including a pool and spa much like the one at the house they are leaving.  The kids school is 2 minutes away which will be wonderful for Shannon.  Her commute right now is a nightmare - 40 minutes in the morning and almost an hour in the afternoon due to heavy traffic.  One of Shannon's friends from church lives on the same street and her daughter and Megan are good friends which will be nice for the girls.  They will be moving around October 15.  Between now and then, I'll be going down a few days a week to help manage Andrew while the other two are in school so Shannon can get things done.  Then when Andrew goes for his nap, I will help pack for a few hours. 

I had a great weekend with the kids.  On Saturday morning, we went to Target so Megan and Nathan could spend some money they got for their birthdays.  Megan chose a new Cabbage Patch baby doll.  It's adorable.  Nathan chose a red Power Ranger outfit so he can dress up like one of the action heros.  Oh, gosh, did he have fun with that.  I have posted some pictures so you can see how delighted they were with their purchases.  I picked up a new motorcycle toy for Andrew so he would have something new to play with.  He is really into anything with wheels and an engine.  I think that's hard wired into the male brain.  One of the first sounds both of the boys made was that 'vrooooommmm' sound of an engine.  Just cracks me up!

We did have one glitch - ok, minor disaster.  It was my fault.  I wasn't thinking and left a ball point pen out where Andrew could get it and while I was out of the family room he decided to write on the couch and one of the couch pillows.  The couch is a solid sage green so there is no pattern to hide his 'art work'.  I just about had a heart attack.  I tried scrubbing it off but it didn't budge.  I called a professional cleaning company and asked them if they could clean it and they said, "No, ink is permanent."  Well, after I calmed down and assessed the situation, I figured at the worst they would fire me and never let me babysit again.  I could hope for supervised visitation with any luck at all. 

When they got home yesterday, after their initial greeting and letting them spend some time with the kids, I took them in the family room and set them down.  I confessed what happened and they both looked at me and then at Andrew who was sitting in his highchair having dinner.  Bryan laughed and shook his head and Shannon said, "Don't worry about it.  I have some stuff that'll get that out."

"But the professionals said it was permanent."  I had to be honest.

"You called a professional!?!"  Bryan was amazed.

"Well, I had to try to do something!" 

Shannon got up and looked it over.  It was bad, especially the pillow.  "Don't worry about it.  It's microfiber.  I've got stuff to take it out."

"Well, if it doesn't............."  I started to make an offer that I'm sure my husband would want to kill me for (LOL)...

"I'm sure."  She smiled that sweet, reassuring smile of her's.

We moved on to other things, I got my stuff and went home.  Around 8:30 last night Bryan called to tell me that Shannon had been able to get all the ink off the couch and pillow using the special cleaner that came with the couch.  I was SO relieved!  He thanked me again for taking care of the kids and making it possible for them to get away and have such an incredible weekend together.  He then mentioned that they wanted to go again next year.  I sighed with relief for a second and then realized, next year there will be FOUR of them.  I'll need reinforcements to help me next time.  I wonder if there are a few marines from Camp Pendleton available for missions like this.....

 

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Waht a nice weekend! Cute pics too!!!
Hugs, Sugar

Anonymous said...

Great pictures !!  The ultrasound is a marvelous invention.  I didn't even have disposable diapers when my daughter came along in 1961, let alone ultrasound.   Linda in WA

Anonymous said...

What a great  Granny you are ,those children are so lovely like angels to look at ,all that lovely blonde hair ,ouch ,that pen on the couch ,I was to reasure by saying ,if thats the worst that happened whilst you were in charge ,you did well ,but clever Shannon managed to get it off ,so well done ,,.,.,Jan xx

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you had a great time and Shannon was able to get the ink off! With kids there's always something that can go wrong! The photos are lovely, they're great looking kids! Glad you're gonna be entrusted with them again next year, maybe hide all pens?! I'm happy they found a new house which is so close to the school, I hope the move goes smoothly. Jeannette xx  

Anonymous said...

Hi Kathy,  Your grandchildren are really beautiful, just look at their lovely blonde hair. :o)

Sandra xxxx

Anonymous said...

I am so excited for you, Kathy!  I remember how awesome it was to see Garrett's sonogram pics, and how I could see his mouth, nose and feet.  I think I shared that with you all, in my other journal, before I stupidly deleted it!  Congrats, and I'm so glad that your DIL and baby are doing well! :)

LOL at your grandson for getting ink on the pillow and you freakin out about it.  Sounds like something I would do!  Your DIL sounds like a gem.  Just like mine! :)

Hugs
Jackie

Anonymous said...

I must have had a very relaxed doctor because I he never did an ultrasound on me when I was pregant.  I always wanted one, so I could frame the picture, or save it for the baby book. I guess it always done now days.

Absolutely precious pictures. I am so happy you got to spend some special quality time with your grandchildren.  Enjoy them as much as possible.. we know how fast they grow.

Whenever I get stains on my clothes, I always look online and they have some pretty good tips for getting it out. I am glad the ink stains came out, and you still have your babysitting job for next year!