Sunday, March 25, 2007

Sunny Sunday

This is about as close to a 'normal' day as I have had in weeks.  It's been really nice.  I got up around 7:30 this morning and got right to work.  I needed to get all my laundry done so I can pack this afternoon for my return to 'granny duty' tomorrow morning.  As the laundry was in process, I went into the sewing room and made the cutest flannel blanket for Matthew.  I'll post a picture soon.  I left the cable for my digital camera that connects it to the computer at my son's house so I can't post pictures until I get that back.  It was good, too, to be able to read the journals of all my J-Land friends.  I have felt so out of touch and now I am caught up.  

My love and an extra hug to Jeannette of Jeannette's Jottings and to Sugar of A Little Bit of Sugar Please as they deal with health issues.  Jeannette is recovering well from her surgery and Sugar is facing her operation shortly.  Please say healing prayers for these two special ladies.  Also, a big supportive hug followed by continued prayer for Krissy and John of Sometimes I Think.  John is fighting a brave and inspiring battle and I would encourage everyone to say prayers for him and for his wonderful wife, Krissy.

 I also trimmed and squared the Mother Goose quilt that I had taken to the quilter weeks ago.  Dennis picked it up the day after I left to see my Dad.  It's ready for the binding now.  I'm going to do the machine sewing tonight and then take it with me so I can do the hand sewing during the quiet times I get throughout the day, like when Andrew is sleeping.

I have some flannel in the dryer right now.  When it is dry, I'm going to make 4 burp clothes and then I'll take the rest with me to make some sheets to cover the dressing table pad.  The sheets in the store are nearly $12 each.  That is so expensive for a piece of fabric that has the corners sewn.  I can make several from the flannel I have in my fabric stash and they will be softer and nicer than those you can buy in the store.  I'm going to take the sewing machine, too.  It's light weight and I can set it up when the kids go to bed at night.

I'll call my Mom tonight.  She and my sister went to the University of Wyoming women's basketball game today.  The girls are playing for a championship so it will be a fun and exciting experience.  I'm so glad they get to go.  My mom and dad loved going to see the girls play.  My dad swore it was closer to 'real' basketball than anything the guys played.  My mom needs to get out and have some fun after the week she's had.

According to my mom, sister and mom's brother, my Dad's memorial service was quite special.  There were nearly 100 people there to celebrate his life.  My mom's brother and one of my cousin's husband gave eulogies.  My dad would have been so surprised and, I know, touched that his brother-in-law got up and shared about the things they did together when they were kids.  My parents met because my dad and uncle were childhood friends.   My cousin's husband talked about how welcome my Dad made him feel when he married Ellen.  He talked about the warmth and kindness my Dad always showed him and he said my Dad was the kind of man he wanted to be.  I thought that was so dear.  Nearly 80 people were at the luncheon and reception after the service.  It meant a great deal to my Mom to have so many people come and show their respects.  I am looking forward to getting an audio CD of the service so I can hear it and share it with my family.  My sister told me the entire choir was there and performed two songs that were my Dad's favorites.  The congregation also sang three of his favorite hymns with the choir.

I feel so odd about the whole situation.  I found a picture of Dad and Megan that was taken on Christmas Eve.  He looks so healthy and happy.  It is difficult to accept that in just three short months, he got sick and died.  I know that it will take time for me to process everything.  I've been through it before and understand the grieving process.  It's like riding a wave.  You just have to go with it.  The wave will take you up and then bring you crashing down.  No use fighting it.  You just have to go with it and deal with all the feelings as they come.  One day at a time it gets better but the hole that is left because someone you love has died, really never gets filled again with anything but loving memories.  As wonderful as they are they sometimes feel pretty shallow and leave you wanting the real thing.

Again today, I am thanking God for my Dad's life and for the man he was. 

Hugs..................

 

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

My dad was diagnosed with lung cancer in November and died the following March.  It was a whirlwind time and it all happened so fast.  But I always tell myself it was perfect.  We had enough time together to say good-byes and tie up loose ends and he didn't have to suffer for too long.

I know this is a difficult time for you.  I'm here if you need me!

((hugs))
Jeanne

Anonymous said...

So happy to hear your busy sewing for that new baby.  And how wonderful that your mom was able to get out to the game.   There's a song that I just love, that whenever I hear it, I think my parents and now your dad have already experienced this...turn your volume up and check out this site: http://my.homewithgod.com/heavenlymidis2/bowed.html
Take care,  Linda in Washington  

Anonymous said...

You must feel comforted and so proud when you think of your Dads wonderful service ,your items for the baby sound lovely and yes so much nicer than store bought ones ,looking forward to your pictures ..love Jan xx

Anonymous said...

such wisdom you have.  Life truly is precious.  Enjoy the grandkids hon, they truly are a blessing.  xox rose

Anonymous said...

It's good to know so many went to your dad's memorial service Kathy. It'll feel like an emotional rollercoaster ride for a while but the good memories will start to fill the gap in your life. I hope your mum will be OK too, it must be so hard for her and I'm glad she has a lot of family support.
I never use the cable from my camera, I just put the memory card straight into the computer and download the pics that way. I'm sure Shannon will be thrilled with your quilt and burp cloths for Matthew. Jeannette xx   http://journals.aol.co.uk/jlocorriere05/Welcometomytravels/  

Anonymous said...

It must have been nice for your mother to see how many people loved and respected your dad. Have a nice time with your grandchildren.
Debbie xxx