Saturday, March 17, 2007

Hello again.  It has been two long weeks since I have posted anything in my journal.  It feels like it's been much longer than that.  I've been on an emotional roller coaster ride that still hasn't ended.  I am not going to recap the entire journey because it would require too much and I don't have the energy or emotional fortitude to do it.  I will say that my Dad is in extremely poor health and the outlook is grim.  He seemed to be getting better.  We were very encouraged about 5 to 8 days into my visit but 4 days ago, the tide began turning and he has been declining since. 

His lungs are very compromised by pulmonary fibrosis.  The left lung is very involved and the right lung is about two-third's as bad.  Because of this, his body is not getting the oxygen it needs to function properly.  He had a mild heart attack on Friday, March 2nd that was caused by lack of proper oxygen.  All of the body's systems are struggling so hard to work and they are failing to keep  up.

I do not expect him to survive this horrible illness and I honestly do not believe he wants to.  He seems to want to let go and go to heaven.  I honor and respect that so much.  I know he does not want to live tethered to an oxygen tank and confined to a chair or his bed.  

I am home in California again.  I got back last night.   It was  hard to leave because I know I probably won't see my Dad again.  I do know that I have no regrets.  I gave him everything I had when I was there.  I sat with him from 10 p.m. until 7 a.m. every night and for 4 hours during the day, every day.  We talked about everything.  Told each other everything we had to say.  I'm so grateful that I got there when I did because he was so alert, open and loving the first 4 or 5 days.  When I left yesterday, he was nearly comatose.  There was no way to reach him.  I don't even know if he heard me say good bye.  It's OK, though....  He has all my love tucked away in his heart and he'll have it forever.

Thank you to all of you for your love and prayers.  I wasn't able to access my journal while I was away.  I didn't have time to write, anyway, but I did get the alerts and I was able to read the comments that you left.  Your kindness and uplifting messages mean the world to me.  I love you all! 

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so glad that the final memories you will have of your dad are so loving I'm sure that will help you dope with your grief when the end does come. I can also understand your father not wanting to live like that I'm sure he loves you all too much to ever wish to be thought of as a burden. Good luck and best wishes.
Debbie xxx
http://journals.aol.co.uk/drb1064/whatever

Anonymous said...

I have missed you dear however ,you have been away on a very important visit ,Iam pleased you had this precious time with your Dad ,so sorry he is now failing ,,with love Jan xx

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad to hear you got to spend that special time with your dad.  My dad died from the results of several strokes, in 1990.  And even tho he lived for about 8 months like that, the last couple months he was in a comatose state.  The staff at the nursing home always told me that the hearing is the last sense to go.  So always when I visited him, I would talk, sing and read the Bible to him.  Even tho there was no response, I know he heard me.  It's so hard to see our parents, who were once strong and vibrant decline in their later years.  Bless you Kathy...I'm glad you're home safe.  Linda in Washington state  

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry.  This is a very difficult road to travel.  It is good that you spent so much time with him, and said what you wanted to say.  That will help you in the days to come...Jae

Anonymous said...

Prayers for your Dad, that he not be in pain for a long time, that he be as comfortable as possible on his road home...if that be Gods will.{{ }}
So good that you got to see him & talk with him.
Prayers for the family that they all have strength.
My prayers are with you all,
 Sugar

Anonymous said...

You are in my prayers.  And I am so glad that you have taken the opportunity that so many children miss to tell your father how much you love him before the inevitable happens.  God bless you.

Adrian

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry to hear your dad is in such poor health Kathy, I've been thinking of you this last week wondering how you were. It was so nice to hear you've been able to spend time talking with your dad, a lot of people don't get that opportunity. I know he'll appreciate having seen you before his time on earth ends. You're family are in my prayers right now. Jeannette xx  http://journals.aol.co.uk/jlocorriere05/Welcometomytravels/  

Anonymous said...

Keeping you in my prayers..
Lyn

Anonymous said...

You will carry him in your heart always.  rose~