Wednesday, May 30, 2007

"The happiest people don't necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything that they have."

I got an email from my mom this morning.  It was a story about a 84 year old man who went to the nursing home to  have breakfast with his wife every morning even though she had not recognized him for five years because she has Alzheimer's disease.  The quote really touched my heart and I wanted to remember it so I entered it here this morning.

When I read it, my favorite saying and the motto of my life for the past year and a half came flooding back into my head and heart.  "Attitude is everything."  I need to take a good look at my attitude today and make some adjustments.  It's time for me to get back on track and get focused on the long term again.  I have allowed the events of the past few months to push me off track a bit and I have used these events to make excuses for behaviors that are not in my best interest.  The 'emotional fog' is lifting and it's time to take care of myself by making healthy choices.  When I'm upset emotionally somehow I think the best way to sooth myself is with carbs.  Crackers, nuts, and fruit are about all I have wanted to eat for the past 6 to 8 weeks.  I have not had enough of my usual protein/salad meals and I am starting to miss them.  My body is missing them.   To regain my sense of well being, I want to start eating right again and that begins right now.  I'm committed (or should be committed - LOL) to do this because I LOVE the way I feel when I'm feeding my body the right foods.   Not only does my body feel better (no aches, pains, or extra weight) but emotionally I am happier, more self confident and ready to meet the world and deal with life more effectively.  I'm not going to give that up - absolutely NOT.

I'm meeting my good frind, Dianne for lunch today.  I already know I'll have the Cabo San Lucas salad with no tortilla strips and the dressing on the side.  It's delicious!  I can't wait to see Dianne.  It's been weeks since we got together. So much has happened since our last sit-down-and-gab session that we both are bursting at the seams. 

The sewing room did get cleaned up yesterday.  Amazing!  It wasn't as bad as I thought.  A lot of clutter that took about a half hour to clear up.  A good dusting and a Swiffer once over of the floor and PRESTO, I'm ready to start a few projects tomorrow. I am going to finish Matthew's quilt first.  I want to do that before he grows up and thinks it's stupid.  Next is finding a pattern for a jacket.  I went online and found a few McCalls and Butterick patterns that might work.  If I have time, I may stop on my way back from lunch and check them out at the fabric store.

I have to get ready to go.  This morning was Kasey's grooming appointment and I got up just in time to get there so I'm going to go groom myself so I look presentable for my lunch date.

Until later.                Hugs.

 

 

 

 

 

 



3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like to work with Mcalls and Butterick too ,also Simplicity! great we use the same patterns ,I love it when I find things we have in common ...love Jan xx

Anonymous said...

Hope you suceed in your efforts to get back on track.
Debbie
xxx

Anonymous said...

Good luck with getting back on track with the healthy food. I never look on it as a diet, just a healthy eating plan. Funny how people look after their cars and take it to the garage at the slightest problem but don't seem to take such care over themselves! I struggle withmy weight too and know if I even look at something unhealthy I'll pile on weight. Luckily I love salad so it's not to bad having to eat them! Glad you got your sewing room cleared up! Jeannette xx  http://journals.aol.co.uk/jlocorriere05/Welcometomytravels/