Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Quilts and Baby Blanket

A few entries ago, Jan of Serendipity mentioned that she would enjoy seeing some of my Mom's quilts and one of her baby blankets with the embroidered edge.  Here are some pictures of her creations:

One of Mom's baby blankets with embroidered edge.

Quilt Mom' made for my Dad a few years ago.

Bird Wall Hanging made about 5 years ago.

This quilt was started in the 1930's by my Dad's mother and grandmother.  They put together about 12 of the Sunbonnet Sue's.  My Dad asked my Mom if she could finish the other's which had been cut out but never sewn together.  She did 11 of them and then Cari and I did 3 each so this quilt was made by five generations of women from our family.  Some of the fabrics are newer that the 30's.  A few were rotten and Mom had to throw them away and she needed to add a few extra to make the quilt queen size so she found reproductions of 30's prints to finish the project. The bright spot in the upper left is from the sun coming in an upper window.

This is a wall hanging that Mom made for me for Christmas a few years ago.  It hangs in the entry of my home.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love the sunbonnet sue one---it brings back a lot of memories..I had a quilt like that when I was little...it's long gone now though! :)

God Bless.

Janis

Anonymous said...

Oh thankyou so much for showing these ,arent they lovely what treasures and the one made by five generations of women from one family is indeed awsome ...love Jan xx

Anonymous said...

Beautiful, just beautiful! Brought back memories. {{ }}
Sugar

Anonymous said...

I was going to start quilting after I retired...but the mood hasn't hit me yet. Maybe this coming winter. Beautiful quilts.   Linda in Washington

Anonymous said...

Truly beautiful work thanks for sharing these with us! (Hugs) Indigo

Anonymous said...

Wow! Your mum is so talented Kathy, I just love these quilts! I'm afraid I wouldn't have the patience with them but I did used to like crocheting lace. Nice thing about quilts is they last for many years. Have a good rest of the week and weekend! Jeannette xx  http://journals.aol.co.uk/jlocorriere05/Welcometomytravels/