Sunday, July 22, 2007

This and That

ALYXANDSAMMI.gif  Little Thumper (My favorite character from Bambi)

Height history:

My maternal grandfather:    6' 5"

My mom's brother               6' 5"

My husband:                        6' 4"

My son:                                6' 2"

My husband's mom:            5' 7"

My mom:                             5' 6"

Me:                                      5' 4.5"

Cari:                                    5' 5"

Shannon:                             5' 6.5"

My cousin Laura:                5' 10"

Her son, Christopher          7' 5"  !!!!

The reason for this:  Megan's pediatrician says she is on target to grow to be between 5' 9" - 5' 11".  She's in the 88th percentile for height right now.  My gosh!  I can't imagine my little Meggie towering over me.

On our camping trip, we were talking about it.  She's delighted by the prospect.  I told her it would be a good thing because she could reach things high up in my cupboards when she visited.

Nathan wanted to know how tall he was going to be.  I told him he would most likely be at least 6' 2", like his dad. 

"You guys will refer to me as Little Gramma Kathy."  I teased.

Megan laughed but dear, sensitive Nate hugged me.  "I don't want you get littler, grandma."

Ohhhh, that boy!  He just melts my heart.  I assured him I wasn't going to get shorter.  He was going to get taller and I would just look shorter because he would tower over me.  He still isn't sure he likes that very much.

I'm filling out my list of things to do this coming week.  Nothing very exciting really just the regular stuff.  Car wash and bank tomorrow along with a stop at Costco.  Kasey's trip to the groomer on Wednesday.  A day or two in the sewing room working on the waistcoat for my sister-in-law.  While my sister was here early last week, she helped me figure out how to piece a side panel in and now that I have that problems solved, I think I can proceed to get it finished with no more stall outs.

I'm meeting a dear friend for lunch on Tuesday.  She and I have known each other since we were kids but really didn't become friends until we worked together in the early '70's.  I'm looking forward to my time with her.  She's a sweetheart.  Her oldest daughter is expecting her first baby and Linda's first grandchild.  Can't wait to hear all about that!

Plans for the Italy trip are finalized now.  We have all of our hotel, B&B, and apartment reservations made.  We have tickets to see The Last Supper in Milan.  It's on my Top Five Things to See list so I am thrilled about that.  We are going to be on the run for the first 2 1/2 weeks shuttling between Milan, Verona, Venice, Florence, Rome, Positano, Capri, and back to Rome.  Once Cari leaves the group to come back to the States, we are slowing things down.  We have an apartment in Florence for most of the last part of the trip.  We will be doing some day trips from there.  Pisa is just one of the things we are going to see.  Perhaps Lake Como, too.  We haven't decided yet.  We want to see how Mom is doing and what her energy level is before we pack much more into our time there.

Carol and I want to get into the Italian culture and get a feel for what life is like there.  That's why we got an apartment and settled into Florence for so long.  We want to shop for groceries and get to know local people.  We want to take the public transportation outside of the tourist areas and find little family owned restaurants and shops so we can get a better feel for things.  You can't really get that if you stay in the center of the tourist areas.  We, of course, will be very careful and we will make sure to choose safe areas.  We're not looking for THAT kind of adventure.  The excitement is building.  I got my passport ~ it arrived last week.  YIPPEE...  We have confirmation of a private tour of the Vatican on Oct. 16th which is also Mom's 80th birthday.  What a way to spend your birthday, huh?!?

I'm continuing to feel better.  Things are settling down and I'm dealing with everything much better.  That happy, joyful feeling I had for so long is coming back and I know it won't be long before it will be the way I feel most of the time again.  The tension is leaving and my body aches are resolving, too.  It's nice. 

That's it for now. 

No comments: