Saturday, December 2, 2006

A Few Morning Updates

Written in Pink in Honor of Breast Cancer Awareness:

My Aunt Helen's lumpectomy went well on Wednesday.  The pathology report will come back on Monday so we are waiting for that but everything went as expected.  She is healing well and has no pain and only a little discomfort.  Her spirits are great and she is even going to move into a new assisted living home on Tuesday.  This says a LOT.  She is looking forward to going into a new house where there is more activity and the other residents are more aware of their surroundings and able to interact.  The house she is living in now has 5 other residents and they are all in varying stages of Alzheimer's.  They pretty much watch TV all day and there is little to no inter-action.  Helen has a few memory problems but doesn't have dementia or Alzheimers so she will benefit from a more active living arrangement.  She will start radiation in about a month.  This usually involves a course of treatment that goes on five days a week for five or six weeks.  There are other alternatives but that is the norm.  I don't know what her doctor will recommend but my cousin thinks this will be her course of treatment, too.

I'm feeling a little better this morning.  I rested a lot yesterday and went to bed early last night.  I slept in stages which is normal for me when I'm sick.  I slept from 6:30 to 9:00 p.m.  and then 10:30 until 3:00 a.m. I had to change my pajamas because I was dripping wet and then I went back to sleep from  3:30 to 5:30.  I got up at 5:30 for tea and an apple then went back to sleep until nearly 10 this morning.   Probably would have slept later buy the phone woke me.

My mom spent 4 hours in the ER on Thursday with a nose bleed.  The Dr. ended up having to cauterize it and pack her nose with gauze to get the bleeding to stop.  She will have the packing removed on Monday.  She gets nose bleeds often but not like this.  I hope this isn't going to become a chronic problem for her.  Poor mom...  She has worked for months sewing baby blankets, doll blankets, baking cookies, pies, fruit cakes, and making minced meat for the church bazaar which is today.  This is her day to shine.  Her booth usually brings in the most money at the bazaar every year.  Her doctor told her she has to stay home with her feet up.  So, pouting like a baby (LOL), she took all of her goodies to the church and one of her good friends is going to sell her goods in her booth this year.   One of her biggest sellers is Snowman Soup.  She made over 120 packets of it this year and she is going to be so disappointed not being there to see it fly off the shelf.  I will post the recipe because it is a fun thing to use as a stocking stuffer and it's very easy to create.

When Cari gets home from work at noon, we are going to a Christmas Boutique so she can buy some Scrapbook supplies.  I promised to get her a bunch of paper, stickers, etc. for her to use to scrapbook her Italy trip.  We are just getting around to doing that.  My daughter is SO busy that this is the first time we have had a chance to do this.  I need to put a leash around her neck and pull her in once in awhile.  I miss us just getting in the car and taking off for the mall for a couple of hours.  Those times just don't happen often enough anymore.

That's all for now.  Just a little of this and a little of that this morning. 

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad you are feeling better.   Yay for Aunt Helen, she needs to be around people.  So sorry about your mom, how disappointing for her!  Can't wait for the snowman soup recipe.  Liz and I are going to start a scrapbook for Tracey and the kids.

Take good care,
Rose~

Anonymous said...

Hope that your Aunts results are good when they come back, and that she soon settles in her new home, sorry to hear about your mum, all that hard work she has done and then to miss out ona fun day, looking forward to the snowman soup, you have me intrigued with this one, hope that you soon feel better
take care Lynne xx

Anonymous said...

Glad you're feeling better...hope you recover quickly! :)

Curious about the snowman soup...looking forward to reading about it. :)

Janis

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you are feeling better.  Your daughter and the scrape booking reminded me that I need to finish mine from DC and I still haven't touched the one I wanted to make for my precious granddaughter and she's SIX months already.  Maybe I better get moving with that.  Thanks for that reminder.

Monica

Anonymous said...

I hope you feel better soon Kathy, I'm glad your aunt seems to be doing well. I feel for your mum missing out on selling her stuff, it's no fun being sick at this time of year. I'm just catching up with you all after my trip to China! Jeannette xx  

Anonymous said...

Just came back to check in on you.  Keeping you in my prayers and positive thoughts - your aunt too.

Monica